Technical Timing belt mishap help

Currently reading:
Technical Timing belt mishap help

Mikeb3311

Hi all!

I acquired a non-runner 1980 FI 124 spider thats been sitting for 20 years, and Ive been trying to fix it up. I was doing the routine timing belt change as the old one appeared rotted and stiff. Upon handcranking the engine to TDC to align the timing marks, I noticed my camshaft marks did not line up with eachother by a decent margin. Ive read online that some owners like to advance or set back the timing marks for performance reasons that are above my comprehension. I however suspect the valves may have been bent as a result of this. I was taking off the crankshaft pulley nut which appears to be well renowned for being a pain. I lodged my screwdriver into a part in the drivetrain the guide I was using described as the "weewoo" and tried to turn it. It was not lodged effectively however, the pulley and potentially the gear behind the pulled slipped about a half a turn. I could not see if the shaft slipped from the timing belt or if it was just the alternator belt that slipped. Upon taking the needed parts off I see that the timing marks for the aux and the crank gears were not aligned, leading me to believe that I did cause a slip on the timing belt; making me even more sure now the the valves are bent. I am curious as to if anyone has any insight as to what I could've done differently in this situation but this is not my main question. Ok boom backstory out of the way and now on to my main question.

The engine has always been just a few steps away from a rebuild, and this just solidified that. As I understand it from watching youtube and reading(so maybe I dont understand it at all lol), a top end rebuild seems simple but very tedious. From what I've seen it requires some dexterity and patience (and $$$ tools) but perhaps not too much skill. However, If the pistons got damaged thats a whole different story. Has anyone done this before? I am somewhat entry-level and have never really attempted anything like this before so does anyone with experience know what the skill level would look like? Should I just bite the bullet and pay to have a shop rebuild it?

TLDR I messed my engine up and am at a crossroads.

Thank you in adc=vance for any help, insight, or clarity !!

Hi all!

I acquired a non-runner 1980 FI 124 spider thats been sitting for 20 years, and Ive been trying to fix it up. I was doing the routine timing belt change as the old one appeared rotted and stiff. Upon handcranking the engine to TDC to align the timing marks, I noticed my camshaft marks did not line up with eachother by a decent margin. Ive read online that some owners like to advance or set back the timing marks for performance reasons that are above my comprehension. I however suspect the valves may have been bent as a result of this. I was taking off the crankshaft pulley nut which appears to be well renowned for being a pain. I lodged my screwdriver into a part in the drivetrain the guide I was using described as the "weewoo" and tried to turn it. It was not lodged effectively however, the pulley and potentially the gear behind the pulled slipped about a half a turn. I could not see if the shaft slipped from the timing belt or if it was just the alternator belt that slipped. Upon taking the needed parts off I see that the timing marks for the aux and the crank gears were not aligned, leading me to believe that I did cause a slip on the timing belt; making me even more sure now the the valves are bent. I am curious as to if anyone has any insight as to what I could've done differently in this situation but this is not my main question. Ok boom backstory out of the way and now on to my main question.

The engine has always been just a few steps away from a rebuild, and this just solidified that. As I understand it from watching youtube and reading(so maybe I dont understand it at all lol), a top end rebuild seems simple but very tedious. From what I've seen it requires some dexterity and patience (and $$$ tools) but perhaps not too much skill. However, If the pistons got damaged thats a whole different story. Has anyone done this before? I am somewhat entry-level and have never really attempted anything like this before so does anyone with experience know what the skill level would look like? Should I just bite the bullet and pay to have a shop rebuild it?

TLDR I messed my engine up and am at a crossroads.

Thank you in adc=vance for any help, insight, or clarity !!
Update: I called a mechanic and learned that they are non interference valves so in theory it should be fine to turn all the timing marks into their right place individually with the belt off. If I am missing something please let me know!

Back