General Mongol Rally 2025 - which Panda to buy?

Currently reading:
General Mongol Rally 2025 - which Panda to buy?

If the 1200cc is a hard rule then perhaps consider the 1.1 Panda. Low power but great fun to drive. Non-interference engine, if the cambelt pops. No aircon to worry about. Fewer moving parts and 3 blokes can more easily push it when the going gets tough.

This is a good call.

Spike

One thing about the mongol rally is that, reportedly, they’ve stopped participants buying wrecks, or vehicles they can’t get parts for readily there, as folk were: doing the rally; gifting the vehicles or; dumping them there and flying back leaving them with the problems. I remember seeing a photo of abandoned ex-ambulances allegedly abandoned by participants…if you’re driving there and back then you can take anything, at least that was my understanding a bit back wehn we were contemplating a run.

One thing about the mongol rally is that, reportedly, they’ve stopped participants buying wrecks, or vehicles they can’t get parts for readily there, as folk were: doing the rally; gifting the vehicles or; dumping them there and flying back leaving them with the problems. I remember seeing a photo of abandoned ex-ambulances allegedly abandoned by participants…if you’re driving there and back then you can take anything, at least that was my understanding a bit back when we were contemplating a run.
Yes, I've heard similar

Detail here from the Organisers' blurb

GETTING YOUR VEHICLE HOME FROM THE FINISH LINE​

No rally cars can be left or scrapped at the finish - you must either drive your car home, or we can join the bulk shipping we co-ordinate for it to be put on a train back to Eastern Europe. Once there you can choose whether to scrap it or collect it and take it home. Costs for this will vary slightly from year to year but we're hoping to get it down to around £1000. Bear in mind if shipping, you’ll need a couple of working days at the finish line for freight procedures, so don’t book flights home straight after.

Detail here from the Organisers' blurb

GETTING YOUR VEHICLE HOME FROM THE FINISH LINE​

No rally cars can be left or scrapped at the finish - you must either drive your car home, or we can join the bulk shipping we co-ordinate for it to be put on a train back to Eastern Europe. Once there you can choose whether to scrap it or collect it and take it home. Costs for this will vary slightly from year to year but we're hoping to get it down to around £1000. Bear in mind if shipping, you’ll need a couple of working days at the finish line for freight procedures, so don’t book flights home straight after.
Ahhh they’ve tightened it up even more so since…

Except, of course, the TA, which would seem to be a loophole in the regs. And anyway, turning up for the Mongol Rally in a TA cross would likely get you lynched by the rest of the participants.
Poor sportsmanship! Rules is rules.
The only problem would be if the brand new Panda Cross broke down. Just imagine the ribbing you would get.... Merciless.

Assuming that’s the case how difficult /£ is it to replace the propshaft and clutch?
Propshaft centre bearing £80 last time I got one, separating the propshaft is easy or hard, mine was easy and took 45mins with two coffees, others have struggled..never had a clutch done, that goes for my old 150k plus 2005 4x4 also!

total steal by the looks
cf the MOT History. Am not trusting it much - it fails with a long list including plenty of significant corrosion, then goes away for a month, and passes without so much as an Advisory. I know I'm a suspicious old Hector, but that sets my Spidey Senses twitching. Dealer would be stickering it well North of that if it was kosher, I'd reckon. What say colleagues?

Continuing my Japanese fetishising if I was set on a 4x4 and could get it past the organisers this is where my spend would go. Some work to do, but an honest car, and one which, if my elephantine memory serves me well, I very occasionally see in Buckingham (I notice the unusual, and you don't see many silver Terios around!), which would support the low miles over the last couple of years as their daughters have moved onto other vehicles:

cf the MOT History. Am not trusting it much - it fails with a long list including plenty of significant corrosion, then goes away for a month, and passes without so much as an Advisory. I know I'm a suspicious old Hector, but that sets my Spidey Senses twitching. Dealer would be stickering it well North of that if it was kosher, I'd reckon. What say colleagues?

Continuing my Japanese fetishising if I was set on a 4x4 and could get it past the organisers this is where my spend would go. Some work to do, but an honest car, and one which, if my elephantine memory serves me well, I very occasionally see in Buckingham (I notice the unusual, and you don't see many silver Terios around!), which would support the low miles over the last couple of years as their daughters have moved onto other vehicles:

I noticed the same re the MOT history and the risk of a friendly test has got to be high. Sadly there is no chance of getting a 1.5 through. I have written to get clearance on a 1.2+! If any good panda 4*4’s come up I’ll pounce!

Sorry, clicked here by mistake! All good luck to the OP though.
If you're set on 4WD and Bonefish's 1.5L Terios is out of the question then you could go 660cc Kei car. Smaller than a Panda but built like a 4x4. Plenty available from Japan as imports (never sold in the UK).

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
If you're set on 4WD and Bonefish's 1.5L Terios is out of the question then you could go 660cc Kei car. Smaller than a Panda but built like a 4x4. Plenty available from Japan as imports (never sold in the UK).

That’s a really good call. Just watched a few YouTube videos and the spec looks to have potential. Only concerns being - 1. It’s not a panda 4x4 and 2. 660cc engine makes the 0.9L TA look powerful. It’s 12,000 km and I need to take a fair bit of gear - I’m concerned about lack of power, weight and parts availability - what do you think?

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
That’s a really good call. Just watched a few YouTube videos and the spec looks to have potential. Only concerns being - 1. It’s not a panda 4x4 and 2. 660cc engine makes the 0.9L TA look powerful. It’s 12,000 km and I need to take a fair bit of gear - I’m concerned about lack of power, weight and parts availability - what do you think?
OTOH they weigh less than a buffalo's fart*, so 60-odd hp is reputed to be sufficient.

*Unit of measurement that popped into my mind. I'll ask my therapist about it later :)

Back