Technical Exhaust shield

Currently reading:
Technical Exhaust shield

PiperataMalc

Hi I my classic 500 is missing the exhaust shield on the right of the engine bay. I've seen many photos of classic 500s that are missing their exhaust shield. Is there a reason for this, or should I buy and fit one?

Hi I my classic 500 is missing the exhaust shield on the right of the engine bay. I've seen many photos of classic 500s that are missing their exhaust shield. Is there a reason for this, or should I buy and fit one?
If you can get hold of one (they are available from some suppliers) I would, and fit it. These shields do prevent some of the hear from the silencer getting to the distributor; espacially helpfull if you have electronic ignition. As it is, the heat from the engine is getting close to the "wilt point" of the electronic ignitions (100C), so any firther heat cannot help.

Is the circled part the heat shield. I think my 500 is missing this also.
IMG_6489.jpeg

Is the circled part the heat shield. I think my 500 is missing this also.
View attachment 443645
Yes, that is the heat-shield. There should also be an asbestos (or the modern equivalent) small heat-shield on the engine cover---this one is tp shield the number-plate light and its electrics from the heat of the engine (it is close to the rear-most exhaust 'elbow')

Back