EVs

Currently reading:
EVs

After the recent spate of folk getting locked in their EVs and fires I’m now considering getting a clockwork car:
Well Ive just taken the plunge. Ive bought................ an Aldi battery mower. 1st cut was performed with ease and, touch wood I am pleased. In another 50 years I will be in the right frame of mind to buy an EV. The mower does take a battery change mid job however rather than doing 2 cuts on a tank. I think thta illustrates my doubts about evs. That and the fact its half the width and has no power drive....

Well Ive just taken the plunge. Ive bought................ an Aldi battery mower. 1st cut was performed with ease and, touch wood I am pleased. In another 50 years I will be in the right frame of mind to buy an EV. The mower does take a battery change mid job however rather than doing 2 cuts on a tank. I think thta illustrates my doubts about evs. That and the fact its half the width and has no power drive....
So not a "ride on " then?:ROFLMAO:
You know guys that your ancestors were telling the same bullshit on first cars with combustion engines?
And it took many decades before that technology was fully understood.:)

You know guys that your ancestors were telling the same bullshit on first cars with combustion engines?
I’m not having a go about their future worth or their ‘newness’ teething…but, if you’ve read the article, I don’t want to be trapped in a fiercely burning car that has its credentials ‘conveniently’ abstracted

I’m not having a go about their future worth or their ‘newness’ teething…but, if you’ve read the article, I don’t want to be trapped in a fiercely burning car that has its credentials ‘conveniently’ abstracted
Wouldn’t be so bad if the fiercely burning car actually had a physical connection from the interior door handle (probably now a button) to the door latch mechanism so you actually had the option to exit the vehicle whether it had lost power or not! Each to their own though 🙂

You are of course right. Top Gear illustratedcthey kept doing it into the 60s with their tests of the AM. DB5 and E Type Jaaaag. Of couse then EU got a hand on it and things (emiisions etc) are now all sorted.... Like the 90hp Panda Waze. Oh no, that was a website error. . .

Yes. For example how harmful the diesel exhaust fumes are for our health. And I'm not saying about ecology. Only human health...
In fact petrol engines are the worst culprits emmitting the finest particulates. A properly sorted diesel with dpf and cat is less harmful AND, uses a LOT LESS fuel. We just need to use a lot less fuel. Smaller lighter and slower where its possible. This does not just mean where we feel like it. The source of motive power is important but secondary. Now we have paticulates from the tyres of super high torque Ev tyres as well which are another substantive issue / pollutant
Back to smaller lighter and slower.

Im a perfect person however. For a few years now I have reduced engine size by 50 to 70% AND I have reduced my milage by over 90% as well. I should get a tax refund. Dont throw retirement at me, thats rubbish. Its all the younger generation. LOL. If only itwas a laughing matter.

Now, in my day......

Last edited:
Wow, I didn’t realise they had light hearted car forums back then? You learn something everyday on here!
No, the british have always had their car cliques, most car owners are very insecure that way.

After the recent spate of folk getting locked in their EVs and fires I’m now considering getting a clockwork car
Usual media hype, just about every manufacturer has had a car ready to go up in flames.
And the petrol diesel cars all have similar electronic locking now, when was the last time you had to push the snib down to lock a car

Usual media hype, just about every manufacturer has had a car ready to go up in flames.
And the petrol diesel cars all have similar electronic locking now, when was the last time you had to push the snib down to lock a car
I’ve never been locked in one, to be fair to all, yes, anything electronic/electrical can fault and lock, look at the scare stories about folk being submerged and the cars central locking and windows trapping people in their cars. It’s just the speed and intensity of EV battery fires and the environmental disaster that they are. There’s a lot of greenwashing about EVs and by ‘abstraction’ I meant that their ecological impact is in sourcing the raw materials, both ecological and ethical, and disposal…it’s as far removed from the EV as possible, the generation of electricity is more an abstraction than oil/gas/coal/wood

Last edited:
There was a quote that the best thing humans can do to save the environment was to kill themselves. Everything we do has some environmental group up in arms.

The EVs solve the big city problems, and not so relevant for those that dont live or travel in a city. Most towns wont see a difference, even more so as they've effectively wiped out most of the heavy industry. They have their place, just not ready to go everywhere yet.

I’ve never been locked in one, to be fair to all, yes, anything electronic/electrical can fault and lock, look at the scare stories about folk being submerged and the cars central locking and windows trapping people in their cars. It’s just the speed and intensity of EV battery fires and the environmental disaster that they are. There’s a lot of greenwashing about EVs and by ‘abstraction’ I meant that their ecological impact is in sourcing the raw materials, both ecological and ethical, and disposal…it’s as far removed from the EV as possible, the generation of electricity is more an abstraction than oil/gas/coal/wood
I’m not knocking EVs as such, we need to combat climate change, but like pandanut says, small, light, economical, not the huge three ton SUVs and certainly, especially here in ‘yummy-mummy’ SUV kids-run rural North Yorkshire, why? Just why?

The cars, mostly Tesla, with electric door releases, do also have a manual release, at least for the front doors. Owners get trapped because they don't know about it. The salesman does not tell them, and no-one reads the handbook, unless it is about the trivial features. The handbook of course is on the car's media screen, no physical book, so can only be read while sitting in the car. That's a deterrent to reading it.

Back