Technical Engine management staying on after starting engine all of a sudden - fine day before

Currently reading:
Technical Engine management staying on after starting engine all of a sudden - fine day before

trekkingnut

Hi All, Has anyone suddenly had their engine management light come on from cold for no apparent reason and then stay on? --mine has done it for the first time at only 27k this morning and stayed on after restarting with a message `check engine`. It seems to run fine so would disconnecting battery reset it or is it a garage job as I do not have a scanner tool plus what could cause it if all running ok and oil/fluids ok? any advice appreciated - cheers

Hi All, Has anyone suddenly had their engine management light come on from cold for no apparent reason and then stay on? --mine has done it for the first time at only 27k this morning and stayed on after restarting with a message `check engine`. It seems to run fine so would disconnecting battery reset it or is it a garage job as I do not have a scanner tool plus what could cause it if all running ok and oil/fluids ok? any advice appreciated - cheers
Probably best to get the error codes read, even if just with a friends cheap diagnostic tool. Disconnecting the battery may not be a solution and can cause other issues such as Stop/Start problems if yours has that option.

Probably best to get the error codes read, even if just with a friends cheap diagnostic tool. Disconnecting the battery may not be a solution and can cause other issues such as Stop/Start problems if yours has that option.
Will be a visit to garage to do that as I do not know anyone with a diagnostic gadget. Luckily I do not have stop start on mine and have chsanged battery before so will give it a try first and see what happens. I have had the yellow triangle light on randomly - do not see it fpor months then it appears upon starting but that one will go out after starting engine again if left a while usually. Car had a very good run a few days before so maybe something to do with that though logically a good run is the cure! Will just have to go to garage if disconnecting battery does not clear it. Oil is halfway up dipstick so not too low or too high.

Thanks for reply by the way - is there a cheap tool I can get on amazon that fits the Qubo for basic code checks? might be handy for future problems.

Thanks for reply by the way - is there a cheap tool I can get on amazon that fits the Qubo for basic code checks? might be handy for future problems.
There are many cheap wireless scanners for less than a £10. if you have a suitable Window laptop or phone, you can buy a simple hand held device for around £30 on eBay.
However if you get more serious many on Fiat Forum use MultiEcuScan on their Lap top or other device for a bit more money, depending on which options you select.
You may be able to find a Fiat Forum Member that uses MES by doing a search on this site, if local to you they may be able to meet up and help if not to far away.
If you only need to read and delete an error code, most of these options will be a lot cheaper than a professional diagnosis.;)

Thanks for reply and info - I went to my local garage but they were too busy to do a diagnostic on it which was disappointing as been a very good customer but they were bogged down a bit to be fair. It is driving ok and not misfiring or anything so will take it out tomorrow and see if light stays on after a gentle run. I did get fuel a couple of days ago which is probably coincidence as it appears to be running smoothly enough.

Are there special plugs for the scanners on Fiat cars as I see OBD 1 and OBD2 etc and not sure what type I need to get as may be worthwhile getting one as they are so cheap and possibly it just needs a reset if sounding and running ok?

Will be a visit to garage to do that as I do not know anyone with a diagnostic gadget. Luckily I do not have stop start on mine and have chsanged battery before so will give it a try first and see what happens. I have had the yellow triangle light on randomly - do not see it fpor months then it appears upon starting but that one will go out after starting engine again if left a while usually. Car had a very good run a few days before so maybe something to do with that though logically a good run is the cure! Will just have to go to garage if disconnecting battery does not clear it. Oil is halfway up dipstick so not too low or too high.
Where are you based?

Yellow triangle on? PressMenu button on cars dash. Sometimes triggers a message on the dash screen to appear with more details. Yellow triangle is often a bulb somewhere or brake light. Menu button helps id which

Our 1.2 needed plugs from me which sorted a "misfire" eml last week.

Thanks for reply and info - I went to my local garage but they were too busy to do a diagnostic on it which was disappointing as been a very good customer but they were bogged down a bit to be fair. It is driving ok and not misfiring or anything so will take it out tomorrow and see if light stays on after a gentle run. I did get fuel a couple of days ago which is probably coincidence as it appears to be running smoothly enough.

Are there special plugs for the scanners on Fiat cars as I see OBD 1 and OBD2 etc and not sure what type I need to get as may be worthwhile getting one as they are so cheap and possibly it just needs a reset if sounding and running ok?
It sounds like @The Panda Nut will be able to give you good advice, but in general terms most even cheap diagnostic tools are able to read EOBD European On Board Diagnostics, some better than others. Usually they are within easy reach of the driver, often just under the dashboard near your feet or the fusebox area, a roughly D shape plug connector with 16 pins.

It sounds like @The Panda Nut will be able to give you good advice, but in general terms most even cheap diagnostic tools are able to read EOBD European On Board Diagnostics, some better than others. Usually they are within easy reach of the driver, often just under the dashboard near your feet or the fusebox area, a roughly D shape plug connector with 16 pins.
I have the operaing instructions for MES which talks about the interfaces and which to avoid. I believe mine is ELM327 But avaid cheap chinese ones. I will post this in resources if its noy copyright.

Where are you based?
I have the operaing instructions for MES which talks about the interfaces and which to avoid. I believe mine is ELM327 But avaid cheap chinese ones. I will post this in resources if its noy copyright.
I have managed to sort it out today thanks to all who replied - it was just the air sensor connector plug! - I have driven it today and light off. I do not know if a cheap diagnostic tool would tell me that but i just unplugged air intake sensor connector as it felt a little loose. May be coincidence of course but light is off so am pleased and it drives fine. Thanks again to all for your interest and sany advice of what cheap scanner to buy would be appreciated for future issues!

Do have a look at Gendan.co.uk and at MES. i have had my money's worth many times over from mine. Its quite a bit more than a code reader and gives pointers on the issues it picks up. Very glad you are back running.
Thanks for the advice - I assume it would also work with my 2006 Dobbie Camper? - Have been thinking of losing the DPF `legally` by remapping engine to 105BHP as the 105BHP engines did not have a DPF but not sure if it would be as easy as that or not and DVLA/insurance would need notification too of course. Have posted issues on another thread as this is Qubo forum.

Thanks for the advice - I assume it would also work with my 2006 Dobbie Camper? - Have been thinking of losing the DPF `legally` by remapping engine to 105BHP as the 105BHP engines did not have a DPF but not sure if it would be as easy as that or not and DVLA/insurance would need notification too of course. Have posted issues on another thread as this is Qubo forum.
MES works on the full range of Fiats. The best thing is it is easy to use once you have it all connected. Look in the miscellaneous section fo the down loads. I uploadedit now so you can see how it works. I bought the software / license and the wo=ires and adapters needed for all teh cars modules. Ive just looked at our latest aquisition to check the ECU milage agrees with the milometer. Also has a look at all the available information to confirm its as described. Worth the outlay just for that. With more than 1 Fiat I really think its well worth having I ust have used mine 20 times in anger and that must be £1500 saved at the very least.

MES works on the full range of Fiats.
I hate to disagree, but no it doesn't although very good, try looking up 2010 Scudo 2.0 litre, it has the Peugeot engine :).
I have around three Fiats at present and would have bought the MES, but on talking to Gendan about the Scudo it was suggested I buy the Maxiecu instead as although doesn't do all the tasks as MES it does include the Scudo.
Also it has the ability to purchase licenses for other manufacturers vehicles.

Last edited:
I hate to disagree, but no it doesn't although very good, try looking up 2010 Scudo 2.0 litre, it has the Peugeot engine :).
I have around three Fiats at present and would have bought the MES, but on talking to Gendan about the Scudo it was suggested I buy the Maxiecu instead as although doesn't do all the tasks as MES it does include the Scudo.
Also it has the ability to purchase licenses for other manufacturers vehicles.
Ha, you have me (and it) there. Its odd its not included. Ive just noticed I seem to have lost my 2019 version of Multi ECU and cant read my engine on the TA. I have mailed and hope I dont need to spent another £50. I seem to have version 4 and they are now upto version 19 or something similar. Why cant we go back to the good old days of an adjstable spanner and a set of screw drivers and lose this electronic stuff.
When it doesnt work it DOES MY HEAD IN.
Sort of lol

Management light on again on Qubo today and unplugging air sensor did not sort it out unless it somehow stores a code that keeps the light on and I was just lucky last time? - really annoying but driving fine. Will disconnect plug again when it stops raining and try contact cleaner and see if it makes any difference. Horrible connector but pins look clean and shiny.

Management light on again on Qubo today and unplugging air sensor did not sort it out unless it somehow stores a code that keeps the light on and I was just lucky last time? - really annoying but driving fine. Will disconnect plug again when it stops raining and try contact cleaner and see if it makes any difference. Horrible connector but pins look clean and shiny.
On a previous 1.9 2005 Doblo 105hp I had with 220k miles (no DPF) I did have an EGR blank , but the main issue that caused black smoke and warning EML light was the wiring behind the MAF sensor plug on the air filter, it was fine after I repaired that.:)

On a previous 1.9 2005 Doblo 105hp I had with 220k miles (no DPF) I did have an EGR blank , but the main issue that caused black smoke and warning EML light was the wiring behind the MAF sensor plug on the air filter, it was fine after I repaired that.:)
Thanks for reply - Qubo not smoking and garage said air sensor when they plugged it in the other day and they just unplugged and plugged connector back in and either light went off by coincidence/their diagnostic gadget or by itself. Stayed on after I tried it though but used contact cleaner yesterday and about to use it for work shortly so will see what happens. wiring is as new to look at and engine still only got 27k on clock so all looking very clean in there. Could it be dirt on sensor perhaps as I drive a lot of country lanes? - all sealed in though with those horrid clips and reluctant to mess about with it too much. Garage said sensor is over £200!

Thanks for reply - Qubo not smoking and garage said air sensor when they plugged it in the other day and they just unplugged and plugged connector back in and either light went off by coincidence/their diagnostic gadget or by itself. Stayed on after I tried it though but used contact cleaner yesterday and about to use it for work shortly so will see what happens. wiring is as new to look at and engine still only got 27k on clock so all looking very clean in there. Could it be dirt on sensor perhaps as I drive a lot of country lanes? - all sealed in though with those horrid clips and reluctant to mess about with it too much. Garage said sensor is over £200!
There are many things on modern vehicles that cause problems, unlike older ones working on 12 volts, many sensors use readings around 1.2volts etc. so even a small poor connection can be a problem.
I can't see external dirt sources like the lanes being a problem as modern connectors have good rubber seals etc.
If problem persists I would get a good recommended Auto Electrician/Diagnostics company to test it and give a quote to fix.
Around here there is one the Motor Trade uses when they have a problem they can't fix themselves, they always moan about the price, but still use them as they are the best! :)

Back