What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

Currently reading:
What's made you not grumpy but not smile either today?

I bought a Doblo wheelchair van a year ago, 2017 reg, so 6 years old then, with just over 12k miles.
Stop/start was reluctant, I guessed due to a tired battery. Charging the battery brought stop/start, but each time it only remained off for a few seconds. Longest was nearly 20 seconds. It starts easily, so no need to replace the battery yet, so I'll live with it.
At about that time, there was a question asked about whether the clutch needed to be depressed for starting. The answer suggested yes, but mine does not need this.
Then driving it day before yesterday, it occurred to me that the symbol with a line through it did not appear. This should be when the car tells you that it has not operated stop/start. This suggests that it was not expecting to operate it, so no need to inform.
Now I'm thinking clutch switch. Time to connect MES and enquire. Then perhaps, turn upside down in the footwell.
The car knows when the clutch starts to come up, as it raises the engine revs, so there might be a dual switch, or two switches.

I bought a Doblo wheelchair van a year ago, 2017 reg, so 6 years old then, with just over 12k miles.
Stop/start was reluctant, I guessed due to a tired battery. Charging the battery brought stop/start, but each time it only remained off for a few seconds. Longest was nearly 20 seconds. It starts easily, so no need to replace the battery yet, so I'll live with it.
At about that time, there was a question asked about whether the clutch needed to be depressed for starting. The answer suggested yes, but mine does not need this.
Then driving it day before yesterday, it occurred to me that the symbol with a line through it did not appear. This should be when the car tells you that it has not operated stop/start. This suggests that it was not expecting to operate it, so no need to inform.
Now I'm thinking clutch switch. Time to connect MES and enquire. Then perhaps, turn upside down in the footwell.
The car knows when the clutch starts to come up, as it raises the engine revs, so there might be a dual switch, or two switches.
What if you deliberately stall the engine whilst stationary, then keep the clutch depressed. If the Stop/Start can see that the clutch is depressed then it should try to restart the engine. If the Stop/Start can't see that the clutch is depressed then it won't try to restart the engine.

I built a chair yesterday per Mts.Cheest's request. We like Adirondack chairs for relaxing outdoors. Wood ones have become ridiculous in price and plastic ones have suffered 'quality fade' over the past few years. Our first plastic chairs we bought for probably$9.00 each lasted over 20 years. The ones we bought last year for $20 each are already breaking. So we bought fifty bucks worth of lumber and hardware Tuesday and I built the chair yesterday.
wL5iC5cl.jpg

Let me say, that wood working and I do not get along at all. I never mastered it and at my age, I never will. I can have a guide on either side of a circular saw and I will still make a crooked cut. Even after having to do things over a couple of times and getting frustrated enough to toss the whole lot into the wood chipper, it didn't turn out too bad.
It's pissing down today, so I'll wood putty and sand it in the garage later today, then Mrs.Cheest can paint it however she wants.

What if you deliberately stall the engine whilst stationary, then keep the clutch depressed. If the Stop/Start can see that the clutch is depressed then it should try to restart the engine. If the Stop/Start can't see that the clutch is depressed then it won't try to restart the engine.
It did that when I first got it, now it does nothing. It did, once recently, fail to operate when stopped, but then cut the engine as I depressed the clutch ready to move away, restarted when pedal released. Disconcerting, but at least with little through view, I can't see the guy behind getting upset.

L
I built a chair yesterday per Mts.Cheest's request. We like Adirondack chairs for relaxing outdoors. Wood ones have become ridiculous in price and plastic ones have suffered 'quality fade' over the past few years. Our first plastic chairs we bought for probably$9.00 each lasted over 20 years. The ones we bought last year for $20 each are already breaking. So we bought fifty bucks worth of lumber and hardware Tuesday and I built the chair yesterday.
wL5iC5cl.jpg

Let me say, that wood working and I do not get along at all. I never mastered it and at my age, I never will. I can have a guide on either side of a circular saw and I will still make a crooked cut. Even after having to do things over a couple of times and getting frustrated enough to toss the whole lot into the wood chipper, it didn't turn out too bad.
It's pissing down today, so I'll wood putty and sand it in the garage later today, then Mrs.Cheest can paint it however she wants.
Looks like a good result.
Lovely to read your post. Woodworking and I never got along either. Like you, no matter how many guides, it won't be a straight line. I can clamp tow pieces together, cut them as one, and they'll still be different lengths.
A while ago, a friend who is insanely good at this sort of stuff, saw me hacking a piece of wood, and started giving advice. "What you need to do is...." NO. What I need is someone else to do it.
I shan't be building any chairs, as I do not like sitting outside. As it gets warmer, I migrate indoors.

L

Looks like a good result.
Lovely to read your post. Woodworking and I never got along either. Like you, no matter how many guides, it won't be a straight line. I can clamp tow pieces together, cut them as one, and they'll still be different lengths.
A while ago, a friend who is insanely good at this sort of stuff, saw me hacking a piece of wood, and started giving advice. "What you need to do is...." NO. What I need is someone else to do it.
I shan't be building any chairs, as I do not like sitting outside. As it gets warmer, I migrate indoors.
I used to like woodwork at school and was reasonable proficient at it, doing dove tail and even hidden dovetail joints etc. just by marking out and the good use of the wood chisels and so on (no special tools to make the job easier in those days), however I liked working on mechanical things better and soon found the ingrained oil on my hands even after washing would soon find it's way onto a nice piece of prepared wood, so not compatible.:(

NO. What I need is someone else to do it.
My sentiments exactly when Mrs. Cheest wants 'improvements' around the house.

She wants to pull up the carpeting in the living room, family room, and dining room(I almost agree with the dining room) and replace it with something else(don't know and don't care). I told her to knock herself out and find someone else to do it, cuz I'm not going to move three rooms of furniture and spend three weeks on my knees doing something I didn't want to do in the first place, don't have the skills or know how to do it correctly, and then having to be an asshole about having to do it. And having her mad at me because I'm being an asshole.

Went to the pharmacy yesterday, to collect our monthly sack of drugs.
The pharmacist (PH) is doing covid vaccinations by appointment. An older woman (OW) was brought in by a younger woman (YW), possibly her daughter. The conversation went thus: (Name changed)

PH: Are you Mrs Jones?
No reply
PH: (Louder) Are you Mrs Jones?
Pause
PH: IS THIS MRS JONES?
Pause
YW: She won't answer you, she can't hear.

These people are among us.

Away from home, brought everything but the remote for the fire stick can't use the app because I can't get on the WiFi with the remote.

Ah bum...

Having said that 3 hours on the motorway with a 5 year old passed without incident so small mercies and I remembered all the bits for his stuff obviously.

Back