General Stop/Start not working

Currently reading:
General Stop/Start not working

It's never a good idea to leave a stationary car with the engine running and the clutch depressed; it puts significant stress and wear on the clutch release bearing.

What I'd really like to see is the option to manually activate S/S by pressing a button on the steering wheel. Only the driver knows how long the car is likely to be stopped, and whether it's worth cutting the engine.
So how do you get it to work, as I normally stop at the lights (for example) put it into neutral, apply handbrake. Would the engine then stop? (assuming it was working properly) and start when pushing clutch in to select gear?

S/S should activate if the car is in neutral, the clutch isn't depressed, and the speed is below about 4mph.

There are several actions that should restart the car, including depressing the clutch pedal, making three footbrake applications, if the speed increases beyond 4mph, or just being stopped for 3 minutes (less if the battery isn't perfect).

The automatic restart on depressing the clutch can be useful if you inadvertently stall the car when pulling away.

The handbrake position isn't part of the S/S logic. This means it's possible (though not recommended!) to allow the car to freewheel in neutral down a slope for up to 3 minutes with the engine stopped, if you keep the speed below 4mph using only the handbrake.

Last edited:
It's never a good idea to leave a stationary car with the engine running and the clutch depressed; it puts significant stress and wear on the clutch release bearing.

What I'd really like to see is the option to manually activate S/S by pressing a button on the steering wheel. Only the driver knows how long the car is likely to be stopped, and whether it's worth cutting the engine.
That's a really great idea - if you've got to have stop/start.

I'm wondering if the energy used to recharge the battery, after a stop/start, is greater than the energy saved stopping it for 30 seconds (or however long the short delay is) ?
I used to turn the engine off at traffic lights the better part of 30 years ago and my ocd had me trying loads of different things. My wholly subjective conclusion was, that with a 2.2 Renault Laguna I saved 6mpg on my daily 30 mile commute but turning off for less than 30 seconds stops made things worse by 2 to 3 mpg. I suppose there are many variables as well as different cars. My experience makes me leave stop start on unless in constant stop start / creeping traffic. Thats what the switch is for. The Panda system is a good one and once you get used to it you stop noticing it, except its slow to restart if you stall which sometimes happens. Posh company car systems were mostly a pain.

Excellent news. Where exactly was the leak?

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You're probably right.
It was the turbo pipe going into the expansion tank - A common issue on early TwinAirs as I understand. I now have the updated design of bottle from 2014 onwards!

I wouldn't hold the clutch in for more than thirty seconds max, and in fifty-odd years driving and nine cars I've only ever replaced one clutch - and that was thirteen years old at the time!

It was the turbo pipe going into the expansion tank - A common issue on early TwinAirs as I understand. I now have the updated design of bottle from 2014 onwards!
My tank was leaking in 2017 but it had no effect on the S/S. I'd caught it early so maybe it wasn't significant enough to be noticed by the system.😄

My first cars, 1930 Morris Minor and 1936 Morris 8 and cars in the family at that time - Morris Minor, A35, etc - had carbon thrust clutch release bearings and you very quickly learned to keep you foot off the clutch pedal unless you were actually changing gear. The venerable Mr Scott - elderly local driving instructor who taught all 4 of us kids to drive - would slap your left leg if he thought you were holding the pedal down for too long. Hmm? interesting thought, wonder if he did that to my sister?

Isn't it supposed to be a feature that removes all the 'thinking' from the driver, you know AI? type stuff. I mean, how long do you have to be motionless for it to stop the engine? I have to ask seeing as mine is just a 'nice thought' at the mo'.

Stop/start cuts in almost before the wheels have stopped turning on my Ibiza - except it doesn't because I always turn it off on engine start. Have to say it does work very well with almost instant start as soon as the clutch pedal is depressed. It's just that in heavy city traffic it's constantly stopping and starting and I can't believe that, no matter how well designed and engineered, a standard type pre-engaged starter motor will go on functioning like this for years of such abuse - to say nothing of wear on the ring gear and the many other things on these complicated wee engines.

how long do you have to be motionless for it to stop the engine?

Essentially no time at all; if it's working properly, it stops the engine as soon as the car is in neutral and the clutch is lifted, providing the speed is below 4mph

Isn't it supposed to be a feature that removes all the 'thinking' from the driver

That's basically the idea; you're supposed to just drive as if it wasn't there.

But a system which removes all the 'thinking' from the driver isn't actually what you want if you're a 'thinking' driver.

The two most useful advantages over stopping the engine with the key is that it keeps the radio and the lights on. It also leaves the heater fan running (if it's turned on), but without the engine turning and the coolant &/or refrigerant circulating, that's not actually helpful.

AND of course the air-con and the heated rear screen are BIG electrical drains! so the system disables stop/start if they are in use so as not to compromise the battery! i have heard that having the rear wiper on also turns it of for safety reasons but cant confirm that! like we have said before the systems too complicated and picky to function properly in the real world!.

The aircon is driven off the engine, therefore to work the engine must be running, hence the ECU won't let the engine stop if the demand for aircon is present...makes sense to me. Our works pool car automatically starts up just to run the aircon.

On my Panda S/S works when the AC is on. I know because it's always on and S/S works just fine. It's only when the system detects that you're in town traffic it doesn't switch off.

Ah, so very true. True attentiveness is a rare thing (if that's real word).

Ah, so thats why it doesn't always work with aircon on, 'cause the aircon needs the engine.
I found the FIAT's S/S useless in hot weather because the AC keeps restarting the engine, often within seconds, to run the compressor. Another reason, if I needed one, I keep the S/S switched off these days.

I'm not a fan of too much automation; what with auto headlights and wipers, lane keeping technology, etc, is it any wonder some drivers seem to be completely disengaged from the job at hand? I can see when rain hits the windscreen and I can see when it gets dark (you know what I mean!:)) and take the appropriate action, and I have no difficulty keeping within my lane because I keep my eyes on the road! Perhaps being in such a small car among all the SUV behemoths forces you to keep your wits about you. In certain situations I've found it wise to keep the driver's window down so I can thump the side of an encroaching vehicle with my fist - that really wakes 'em up!

I largely agree with you about automated systems, but, with the nights drawing in, it's getting dark at going home time and I'm noticing the usual crop of idiots "hiding" amongst the rest of us with no lights on. If coming towards you some have the saving grace of DRLs but if behind them you only really notice them when you're blinded by their LED tail and high level brake lights. By the way, these very bright headlights which some of the newer cars now have, make it quite difficult sometimes to see a car, which may be only on sidelights - I know, should have the headlights on but there are still idiots who creep around on side lights - and as for bikes, well, even the ones who've bothered to fit lights are almost impossible to see if one of these modern solar infernos is approaching!

I largely agree with you about automated systems, but, with the nights drawing in, it's getting dark at going home time and I'm noticing the usual crop of idiots "hiding" amongst the rest of us with no lights on. If coming towards you some have the saving grace of DRLs but if behind them you only really notice them when you're blinded by their LED tail and high level brake lights. By the way, these very bright headlights which some of the newer cars now have, make it quite difficult sometimes to see a car, which may be only on sidelights - I know, should have the headlights on but there are still idiots who creep around on side lights - and as for bikes, well, even the ones who've bothered to fit lights are almost impossible to see if one of these modern solar infernos is approaching!
Driving the wife's Mazda today with the AC running I noticed that if the S/S stopped the engine, it would regularly restart within seconds due to the demands of the AC, so it's not just FIAT. I pressed the 'i-stop' button and the yellow indicator came on in the display, just like mine. Of course when I started the car to come home, unlike mine, I had to press it again.:censored:

At the risk of running off-topic; when my wife picked up the CX-3 I was interested to note it has auto lights and wipers. That doesn't guarantee the lights will be on in the dark however because both switches have to be set to the 'Auto' position for it to operate in that mode! I'm apt to find them in the Off, Auto or On positon (randomly) when I happen to drive her car. What's the betting not a few drivers will simply assume the lights are fully automatic and not even think about them? As you've observed, it's not unusual to come across unlit cars, especially in built-up areas with street-lighting. :)

Last edited:
I've just got a new 500 and have problems with stop/start. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. There are no warning lights showing. Been back to dealer and they reckon a battery issue and say running it should resolve. But I've just done 40 mile journey. Outwards, worked fine. Homewards, nothing. Does not make sense as would have thought battery would be charged?

I've just got a new 500 and have problems with stop/start. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. There are no warning lights showing. Been back to dealer and they reckon a battery issue and say running it should resolve. But I've just done 40 mile journey. Outwards, worked fine. Homewards, nothing. Does not make sense as would have thought battery would be charged?
Unfortunately fiats stop/start system does NOT make sense! its overly complicated and measures to many parameters ! and,if any one of them is "off" by the slightest amount then the system has a hissy -fit and stops working ! also many times this does NOT log an error code so tracing it is like looking for a needle in a galactic haystack! mine was caused by a slight misfire down to a faulty injector but NO error message ever showed up only found by a long process of swapping parts out!.
You dont mention the age of your car if its new and under warranty then id be taking it back to fiat on a regular basis until they sort it( every month to **** em off and motivate them to sort it to get rid of you!) If they reckon its the battery then tell em you will give it two weeks then you want them to change it to prove thats what it was( however if you want you could disconnect it and fully charge it over night then test the car and see if its working!) if that solves it then they MIGHT be right and the kind off use you are giving it is not putting enough back in! to run the system if not then its back to them aint it!.

What I dislike about the S/S, and hence turn it off, is that I approach a set of traffic lights from a distance, and moderate my speed so that the lights have a high probability of changing before I get there. However, more often than not the lights are still red when I get there, only to change ~2 seconds after I have stopped. But by then the engine has cut out, only to start again almost immediately. This happens enough to make me turn it off.

Back