Technical Should i buy 1.4 multiair

Currently reading:
Technical Should i buy 1.4 multiair

shaun

Established member
Hi,i am thinking of buying a 2010 1.4 Multiair with 91000 miles but i am a bit worried about the problems with the engines.Am i just over concerned

Last edited:
Thanks Eklipze3kIt for the quick reply,it has full service history,is there anything to look out for with the engine noises etc

We have a 1.4 Multiair on 110k at the min, and we bought it at 99k with only 3 service stamps... so far no mechanical problems at all. It is a bit rattly at this mileage but does the job.

They are rattly from new, it's just the way the MuliAir unit works..
The correct oil, as described in the service handbook, is very important.
Best practice to change it a bit more often, like every 6-7000 mls, incl. filter.
Often overlooked, but VERY important at these somewhat higher milages, is to change the MultiAir strainer/filter, it's NOT in the sevice schedule, but should be changed at every ~30.000mls.
Engine will last forever.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Can anyone shed light on if any difference between the fiat 1.4 Multi air and the Abarth one ?
Looking for a Abarth head hopefully they are all the same

Problem with multiair units should have been resolved by now. The majority of faulty units will have failed by now but as has been stated the important thing is to change oil and filters and use the correct oil, Fiat change the oil spec some years ago.
The engines are identical an Abarth differs by having a different turbo and map. I used to sprint a multiair Mito in Road class for three years and it was incredibly reliable. I still have the car and just make sure I change the oil every year and the multiair filter every two. It doesn’t deliver masses of power but is a good unit.

Problem with multiair units should have been resolved by now. The majority of faulty units will have failed by now but as has been stated the important thing is to change oil and filters and use the correct oil, Fiat change the oil spec some years ago.
The engines are identical an Abarth differs by having a different turbo and map. I used to sprint a multiair Mito in Road class for three years and it was incredibly reliable. I still have the car and just make sure I change the oil every year and the multiair filter every two. It doesn’t deliver masses of power but is a good unit.
Are the engines different in anyway other than turbo exhaust map ? From fiat alfa to the punto evo ?
Darren

I’m pretty sure they are both 955A2000 units. Sometimes there can be slight changes between model years but essentially the same engine. The cylinder head appears to share the same part number across all models. You can take a 135/140 Mito/Punto to the 170 or SS level just by fitting the 1446 Turbo and corresponding map.

I’m pretty sure they are both 955A2000 units. Sometimes there can be slight changes between model years but essentially the same engine. The cylinder head appears to share the same part number across all models. You can take a 135/140 Mito/Punto to the 170 or SS level just by fitting the 1446 Turbo and corresponding

So a 1.4 multi should in theory fit my punto evo ?
I have just bought it with a stripped plug socket on 3
I work six days so Sunday is my day for tinkering with my new toy

A try a plug socket repair kit ( bit concerned about debris in the cylinder)

B head off and repair

C replacement head straight swop

D a low mileage 1.4 muliair
If they are the same especially the jeep’s there must be some late low mileage engine for sale
I have looked into it but not found any information about it as it will or will not work?
Cheers

OK replacing the engine is the most expensive and time consuming.
If you’re prepared to replace the engine then you may as well try the thread repair. with a lot of care you can do it in situ.

To really get to it properly you’ll have to take off the multiair unit though so it may be easier to take off the head altogether and once you’ve done that it’s best to re-face the head and change the cam belt too. A machine shop would easily rectify the plug.

I would probably start with the plug repair because if it doesn’t work you’ll have to strip it anyway. Get it on the compression stroke and afterward fill it with petrol or brake cleaner and suck it out - get your hands on a boroscope if you can ( Aldi and Lidle often do a cheap on ) to look inside.

OK replacing the engine is the most expensive and time consuming.
If you’re prepared to replace the engine then you may as well try the thread repair. with a lot of care you can do it in situ.

To really get to it properly you’ll have to take off the multiair unit though so it may be easier to take off the head altogether and once you’ve done that it’s best to re-face the head and change the cam belt too. A machine shop would easily rectify the plug.

I would probably start with the plug repair because if it doesn’t work you’ll have to strip it anyway. Get it on the compression stroke and afterward fill it with petrol or brake cleaner and suck it out - get your hands on a boroscope if you can ( Aldi and Lidle often do a cheap on ) to look inside.
I am pretty good with the spanners 😁
I agree about the repair with head on i bought the kit and i it looks simple enough to do
Good idea about flooding the cylinder and sucking it out i was only thinking about dry vac and compressed air that’s much better 👌
Never crossed my mind 🤣
We live in a rural area and unfortunately not a single place to resurface the head locally so
If it did come to that do they work well if ported and flowed ? As I might as well get it done when its off if they do work better

This is a keeper and time is on my side i am in a position to do whats best and not what’s quicker and cheaper thats why i thought about the engine
It’s already got a exhaust and the sport cat also a bigger cooler not after stupid power but over 200 is what I would like
The last one we had was the red supersport in the picture on a 2013
Wish we had kept but thought a new punto would be along soon 🙄
And chopped it for the 595 comp

Attachments

• IMG_9436.jpeg
    IMG_9436.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0203.jpeg
    IMG_0203.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
If you’re not changing the camshaft map and injectors then all I would do is carefully match the inlet and outlets to their respective gaskets. The other thing you’ll find is that the exhaust cat section has a massive restriction on the outlet so without enlarging this piece any major work is wasted. I enlarge mine by cutting it off and welding in a bigger bore pipe and enlarging the flange.

Back