Technical Setting maximum charge level

Currently reading:
Technical Setting maximum charge level

Andy500eowner

Can anyone tell me how to set a maximum charge level on the 500e?
I am sure my dealer said it was possible but have not been able to find how to do it!
Generally agreed that it is best not to keep changing battery to 100% if you do not need to.

Can anyone tell me how to set a maximum charge level on the 500e?
I am sure my dealer said it was possible but have not been able to find how to do it!
Generally agreed that it is best not to keep changing battery to 100% if you do not need to.

Can’t remember the exact location but it’s the EV pages in the centre screen. Set it to 5 unless using a granny charger on a dodgy circuit then set to 3.
Don’t worry about charge levels. The battery isn’t using full capacity so charging to 100% is safe.

Reactions: ben
Dont you just plug it in and forget. I know the other EVs (nissan etc) manage the charging themselves, but even they only do a fast charge to 80% then it goes to a slow charge. The problem is heat, the batteries need to stay cool when charging, that limits the the speed of charging.

Dont you just plug it in and forget. I know the other EVs (nissan etc) manage the charging themselves, but even they only do a fast charge to 80% then it goes to a slow charge. The problem is heat, the batteries need to stay cool when charging, that limits the the speed of charging.

So the car can charge on just about any home circuit the charge speed can be reduced so as to not overload. However it’s fine on 5 in most cases. And all public charging. Fiat in their wisdom set it at 3 by default, fortunately it doesn’t tend to reset once changed.

Yes, it's on the EV Page on the touchscreen. Mine needed a software update to stop it randomly setting itself to 1 and changing the speedo to kph but if yours is a recent build this shouldn't be an issue. Agree on the 100% charge comment above, there's battery headroom that stops this from being a concern.

If your dealer has been a bit vague about the car settings, one of the other Fiat wisdoms is that the passenger airbag is off by default from factory and this isn't always picked up at pre-delivery inspection. The airbag on/off lights are in the binnacle behind the rear-view mirror so aren't in your eyeline to make airbag status obvious.

So the car can charge on just about any home circuit the charge speed can be reduced so as to not overload. However it’s fine on 5 in most cases. And all public charging. Fiat in their wisdom set it at 3 by default, fortunately it doesn’t tend to reset once changed.
You are probably correct with these modern cars. With older EV batteries were degraded by various action like, repeated fast charging and maintaining the battery at 100%, reducing capacity and therefore range of the car. I think the newer cars have better protection and 100% is not really the max capacity of the battery. Using a slower charge rate works for me as I have solar panels, lower charging rates means most of the power comes from my own generation.

Yes, it's on the EV Page on the touchscreen. Mine needed a software update to stop it randomly setting itself to 1 and changing the speedo to kph but if yours is a recent build this shouldn't be an issue. Agree on the 100% charge comment above, there's battery headroom that stops this from being a concern.

If your dealer has been a bit vague about the car settings, one of the other Fiat wisdoms is that the passenger airbag is off by default from factory and this isn't always picked up at pre-delivery inspection. The airbag on/off lights are in the binnacle behind the rear-view mirror so aren't in your eyeline to make airbag status obvious.
Thanks for the tip about passenger airbag, mine was turned off! I had seen the warning light but for some reason assumed it was the button to turn it off.
Went into the software and switched it on.

Thanks for the tip about passenger airbag, mine was turned off! I had seen the warning light but for some reason assumed it was the button to turn it off.
Went into the software and switched it on.
Hi,
At charge setting 5 in the car (using either the single-phase included charger) the limits to 13 A current draw (on a 230 V grid). at 4 it is 10 A, at 3 it is whatever lower. When I charge on single-phase in Sweden I usually set it to 4, since 10 A fuse is common for a simple one-phase outlet.

Back