General Rooftop Tent Added

Currently reading:
General Rooftop Tent Added

All. It’s been a while but my 500x is finally nearing completion for what I’ve wanted to do with it.

2016 500x
30k miles
215/55/17 Falken Wildpeak tires
Factory 500x mudflaps just added
Pedal commander from 500 Madness
Wheel spacers from 500 Madness
Rear 2” receiver hitch
Crossbars for naked roof
Tentbox Lite 1.0 Rooftop Tent

Next mods will be a leveling/spacer kit.

Really enjoy this car. It’s been a blast and many miles to go.

Attachments

• IMG_9335.jpeg
    IMG_9335.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9308.jpeg
    IMG_9308.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9302.jpeg
    IMG_9302.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9291.jpeg
    IMG_9291.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 79
That looks cool.. and the tent on the roof looks hilarious.. 😅

But.. my only concern is how much weight the roof and roof bars are rated to hold. From memory, hatchback roofs tends to have a 75kg limit, and roof bars tend to be about the same, even if the 500X roof can take more.

75kg (165lbs in the old money) is just one well-built girl, or a rather scrawny geezer.

Ralf S.

That looks cool.. and the tent on the roof looks hilarious.. 😅

But.. my only concern is how much weight the roof and roof bars are rated to hold. From memory, hatchback roofs tends to have a 75kg limit, and roof bars tend to be about the same, even if the 500X roof can take more.

75kg (165lbs in the old money) is just one well-built girl, or a rather scrawny geezer.

Ralf S.
There are 2 weight ratings for all vehicles. One is the limit when moving and the other is when it’s not moving. Typically the stationary is 5x of the moving limit. With the roof bars this is 54 kilos so I’m well under the load limits. Not supposed to exceed 75 mph on the highway but let’s be honest without the tent it rarely would do that anyways.

Your the second person to post with a roof tent recently. Im interested in how the fold out side is supported. Is teh ladder acting as a support leg? The other thing is does the floor flex if you have weight in the corner? I think these things look great. Last question is how does it secire to the roof rails, doe sit have locks to help ensure it doesnt walk?

Your the second person to post with a roof tent recently. Im interested in how the fold out side is supported. Is teh ladder acting as a support leg? The other thing is does the floor flex if you have weight in the corner? I think these things look great. Last question is how does it secire to the roof rails, doe sit have locks to help ensure it doesnt walk?
Good questions.

- locks are on the way in the form of a special locking nut. The crossbars have locks built in.
- the ladder does lock into place and the hinge of this particular brand tightens as it levels out or the tent is fully opened. It’s very stable. We can both sit on the ladder side of the tent without any sagging at all.

It’s been an amazing addition.

Back