General Nurburgring

Currently reading:
General Nurburgring

olliefromuk

Hi all, hoping to visit the ring later this year in my x19, I’ve been watching Misha on YouTube who has become very popular. His videos give me confidence that you don’t need a speed demon to have a fun time on the track. Although I’ve always thought it’s wrong to take a car that’s not exactly set up for track use, I think I’ve come around to the idea now.
Anyone taken their X on the Nurburgring? If so how was it and are there any upgrades necessary to make sure nothing is going to break?!
I’ve got ebc brake pads which I think will hold up with some abuse but I imagine with a relatively slow car it’s not going to tax the components too much. I would change the brake fluid for a higher boiling point alternative just to be sure, and will try and get some decent tyres which may be slightly difficult with the stock size.
Suspension I have the kyb gas struts with lowering springs, the struts are quite new so should be fine.
I’ve also got a punto gt which I’m currently working on getting back on the road so that might be an option but possibly the following year.
I’d love to visit the Monza track as well, although I have no track experience so that’s probably another option for the future too.
So is anyone else planning to go this year or have any experience to share?
Ollie

There's a German guy on Youtube who regularly takes his X1/9 around Nurburgring.
And sometimes on an autobahn, like a test drive after "rebuilding 5th gear".

Search for "Berserker0815r" on Youtube, and you should find him.

It is insane, watching the cars he out-corners and passes. BMWs, Porsche 911's, etc. And his car sticks like glue. No lurid moments at all.

In fact, when he's "on it", I don't think I've ever seen him have to move over to let someone past. (The two cars that pass on the long main straight at the start of the clip below, are later re-passed with ease on the twiddly bits.)
Sometimes the X is a little lacking in straight line power and speed, but he has so much more corner speed than anyone else it is ridiculous.
Attempting a link to one of his videos here:

Between Manuel Dondi destroying all opposition in his hillclimb X1/9, including those with 4 wheel drive and double his horsepower, and my own experience at a track day at Mondello Park (Ireland) where I failed to make my X even squeal the tyres, never mind actually slide, despite several corners of fluffed braking where I was certain I was heading for the gravel trap, only to have the car stick and turn so sharp I'd have driven into the corner apex, I can confirm that an X1/9 corners like nothing else on the road. And all that from a 50 year old chassis design with no power steering. Unbelievable.
"Road legal go-kart" is one way to describe it...

PS: I have EBC Green Stuff brakes in my X. A previous owner spent £5k souping up the engine, and nothing on the brakes. I could do 0-60mph faster than 60-0! But EBC has transformed that, giving stopping power equal to any modern car, even able to lock up wheels in an emergency. I also swopped to stainless braided flexible brake pipes - sensible if you're going to push the car at all. Besides, the original rubber hoses had more cracks than solid material...
The car I bought has 14 inch "minilite" replacement rims. So I'm running Yokohama 185/50 tyres, to clear the front wheel arches when turning. These tyres have equally transformed the grip levels.

Last edited:
Back