Technical New project

Currently reading:
Technical New project

pmark3100

I talked to a fellow today who wants to trade his Spider for my old beater car. Mine runs and his doesn't. I first mentioned it as a 1967 model as that's what he said it was. When I took pictures, I took one of the registration so I'd have the VIN. It turns out it's a 1977 model. Regardless, I'd like to ask the cognoscenti here for advice. I was trained as a mechanic back in the 1970's and have kept my hand in since so I'm quite able to handle repairs.

Anyway, the car is right on the cusp between a project and a parts car. I hesitate to break any car up unless it's just beyond repair. This one though, mechanically, the current owner said he pulled the transmission and repaired it as it was missing a gear. Clutch at the same time. He also redid the rear end as well as going through the front end. 2 or 3 years ago,he was driving down the road and it started puking oil out the back. He then parked it and it's been in his back yard ever since.I thought a hole burned into a piston head but there isn't any oil up top. He never pulled the engine to see what the problem was. He thinks it may have thrown a rod through the oil pan. Usually that will make a noise, but maybe not. I'm thinking it may be that or something simple like an oil cooler failing or even a oil drain plug falling out. I grabbed the timing belt and lower cran pulley and the engine rotated by hand. I could feel compression as it turned. This was by hand and not a socket. Mechanically, it's definitely worth saving.

The body. It's rough. I've seen worse, but it is definitely a project. The top is newer but may need attention. The body is fairly straight. Underneath I expected rust but it's not as bad as I expected. There is rust though. Definitely needing floor pans. Interior is filthy but decent. The seats aren't split. It looks complete. The dog house has some thumps as well as poor rust repair in the past. Mismatched wheels.

Overall, it's an ambitious restoration. My plan if I get it is to get it running and driving and then move it along to someone who is better at body work than I am. Attached are photos of it when I looked at it. Keep in mind pictures often make cars look better than they really are. Any advice or opinions are welcome.
20211220_135507.jpg
20211220_135417.jpg
20211220_135531.jpg
20211220_135541.jpg
20211220_135551.jpg
20211220_135655.jpg
20211220_135651.jpg

That'd be a nice thing to rescue, though to me it looks like it's not been run for considerably more than 3 years.

Depends on what it's rarity / final value in the USA is I guess as to whether it's worth restoring. I suspect you won't get a useful answer from any of us UK based members since Spiders are pretty rare over here and I suspect many (me included) would consider restoring one which you picked up in a bin bag :D

The paint is the result of the owner getting ready to paint then stopping when the engine did its thing. I think the engine will be the determining factor. If it's salvageable, the car may see road use. If not, it may be returned to the road either intact or one piece at a time. The green growth on the tail lights takes about 2-3 years around here. It's been under a tarp but one door has been partially open. I'm rolling it around in my head. The owner wants to trade for a Dodge Colt I've got with nearly 1/4 of a million miles on it. Just under 250,000 miles but still running and has heat.

We don't have MOT here. Indiana is reasonably liberal on vehicle condition. I'm picky about my equipment as I don't like breaking down, although many around here aren't. We're getting into winter, but if I have the car come spring, it may get a paint job with a roller.

IMG-0598.jpg
20210721_094122.jpg

It just takes patience and several rollers and brushes. It adds extra work for a show car paint job later but stops rust and deterioration until then. I'm right on the edge of the rust belt. 100 miles south, surface rust only. 100 miles north, they sort of dissolve. I ran a salvage yard back in the early 80's. I sold cars for restoration that were a LOT worse than this one. It's parts availability that I'm considering. There aren't many Italian cars around town. Yes, I know Chrysler is now Italian. They have a different design philosophy than I'm used to, but at least they aren't French. I've worked on a French design once and prefer not to do that again. 4 hours to change a valve cover gasket. :eek:

That's true, rarity means it may be worth a lot more in parts than it is complete, maybe even body panels will be saleable to other restorers if they're not badly corroded. I guess the final decision is going to be based on whether you can see yourself driving a 124 spider in a few years time, if so the answer is "yes, restore it". If not it'll be a nice little money earner breaking it (even though my inner car restorer is screaming "noooo!" to that ;) )

That's true, rarity means it may be worth a lot more in parts than it is complete, maybe even body panels will be saleable to other restorers if they're not badly corroded. I guess the final decision is going to be based on whether you can see yourself driving a 124 spider in a few years time, if so the answer is "yes, restore it". If not it'll be a nice little money earner breaking it (even though my inner car restorer is screaming "noooo!" to that ;) )

I have pulled cars from fields and put them back on the road. I've plated over 100 cars so far. These are cars I put plates and insurance and driven. I have Scottish ancestry so I look for ways to get them on the road cheap. I have a car with Scottish brakes even. )It'll stop on a dime, and pick it up.) My latest paint job on my current truck ran me nearly $100. Paint and supplies. Add in $200 for fresh parts and this is what $300 U.S. can do to a truck.

When I bought it. Prepping for paint, primed, painted, then finished about a week later.

20210701_133843.jpg
20210905_153702.jpg
20210905_173659.jpg
20210906_165349.jpg
20210913_105021.jpg

The paint isn't great, it was a roller job, plus the neighbors cat went to sleep on the primer and had to be pried off in the morning when its body heat melted the uncured primer. Still, the olive drab equipment paint improved the looks a LOT. It also is not a color that gets cut off in traffic. The neighbor told me I was paying for the groomer to get the paint off her cat. He wasn't happy when I pried him loose, although once he realized I was trying to help, he settled down. At least until his male anatomy was pulled loose. He yelped and I winced a bit at that.

The paint isn't great, it was a roller job, plus the neighbors cat went to sleep on the primer and had to be pried off in the morning when its body heat melted the uncured primer. Still, the olive drab equipment paint improved the looks a LOT. It also is not a color that gets cut off in traffic. The neighbor told me I was paying for the groomer to get the paint off her cat. He wasn't happy when I pried him loose, although once he realized I was trying to help, he settled down. At least until his male anatomy was pulled loose. He yelped and I winced a bit at that.

Did it go any faster once you'd performed the de-cat? :D

Back