Technical HELP

Currently reading:
Technical HELP

Wardy88

2017 swift 2.3 multijet
17500 miles
Started to jump in limp while under strain in too hi gear say 3rd gear for example 2k plant throttle and it'll go in limp but if I nurse the rpm past 2.5k it'll rev out but then I'm obviously thrashing the engine. I'm thinking injectors but don't want just chuck money at every thought of what it could be

2017 swift 2.3 multijet
17500 miles
Started to jump in limp while under strain in too hi gear say 3rd gear for example 2k plant throttle and it'll go in limp but if I nurse the rpm past 2.5k it'll rev out but then I'm obviously thrashing the engine. I'm thinking injectors but don't want just chuck money at every thought of what it could be
I would try to get any error codes read before throwing money at injectors etc.

imp while under strain in too hi gear say 3rd gear for example 2k plant throttle and it'll go in limp but if I nurse the rpm past 2.5k

I'm thinking injectors but don't want just chuck money at every thought of what it could be
Hi,🙂

That's often turbo pipework / pressure sensor related,

Codes will tell a lot 👍

A £12 basic code reader should show SOME codes (as a starting point), these have been around for 20+ years.. No end of people have access to one.. Ask around 👍

But a PC based program like MultiECUScan will give far more.. And is Fiat specific

Maybe look on the FORUMS. MES Register..
As a member with Multiecuscan May be local to you

Or give your basic UK location

I am near the M4 😉

Last edited:
Hi,🙂

That's often turbo pipework / pressure sensor related,

Codes will tell a lot 👍

A £12 basic code reader should show SOME codes (as a starting point), these have been around for 20+ years.. No end of people have access to one.. Ask around 👍

But a PC based program like MultiECUScan will give far more.. And is Fiat specific

Maybe look on the FORUMS. MES Register..
As a member with Multiecuscan May be local to you

Or give your basic UK location

I am near the M4 😉
Kidsgrove Stoke on Trent mate

2017 swift 2.3 multijet
17500 miles
if I nurse the rpm past 2.5k it'll rev out but then I'm obviously thrashing the engine.

I regularly take my 2017 over 3000 rpm. In my view the higher and hotter gas flow hopefully keeps the DPF clean. Perhaps your symptoms are telling you something?

I regularly take my 2017 over 3000 rpm. In my view the higher and hotter gas flow hopefully keeps the DPF clean. Perhaps your symptoms are telling you something?
Oh I'm no sloth behind the wheel mate lol missus always telling me chill out haha .did 15 miles last night at 4k in 4th gear try clear any built up sut but still the same

Get yourself a copy of MultiECUScan would be my suggestion and ask @theoneandonly or @Fredastaire to take a look.
Multiecuscan would be my suggestion too. You can tell a lot from live data (recorded) that cant. be implied from simple error codes. There will be help available on what to monitor and then how to interpretate.

My first question is your van Euro 5 or Euro 6? This is critical.
Next you need a laptop with Multiecuscan.
If it's Euro 6 please obtain your fault codes and come back for help.
The Euro 6 Ducato 'non adblue' we have lots of experience. I'm a victim of failures inc limp mode.
We have a post on here that's now running at about 28 pages!
Kind regards....

My first question is your van Euro 5 or Euro 6? This is critical.
Next you need a laptop with Multiecuscan.
If it's Euro 6 please obtain your fault codes and come back for help.
The Euro 6 Ducato 'non adblue' we have lots of experience. I'm a victim of failures inc limp mode.
We have a post on here that's now running at about 28 pages!
Kind regards....
Hi I'm not sure on euro stuff it's none ad blue model all's I know

Try an easy way, search tfl (transport for London) ref the ULEZ, put in your registration and see if you can enter the zone free, I yes then it's Euro 6, if only with a daily fee then it's Euro 5.
Please reply on here
It really is a critical question.
Next serious question; take a sheet of paper kitchen towel and wipe out the inside of the exhaust silencer tailpipe. Does it come out nearly clean or fairly sooty?
Next question, does your dashboard show a believable outside temperature reading?

Last edited:
Try an easy way, search tfl (transport for London) ref the ULEZ, put in your registration and see if you can enter the zone free, I yes then it's Euro 6, if only with a daily fee then it's Euro 5.
Please reply on here
It really is a critical question.
Next serious question; take a sheet of paper kitchen towel and wipe out the inside of the exhaust silencer tailpipe. Does it come out nearly clean or fairly sooty?
Next question, does your dashboard show a believable outside temperature reading?
Hi it says this vehicle meets the ulez low emission zone requirements.the tail pipe is quite sooty yeh and the reading of outside temperature seems to read correctly

I'm afraid you probably have suffered the twin egr plauge or whatever it eventualy gets called.
Its probably imperative that you get Multiecuscan and sound advice before you spend vast sums in a garage that doesnt understand these models. Problems are related to the LPEGR cooler getting blocked.

Then read @Fredastaire s thread

I'm afraid you probably have suffered the twin egr plauge or whatever it eventualy gets called.
Its probably imperative that you get Multiecuscan and sound advice before you spend vast sums in a garage that doesnt understand these models. Problems are related to the LPEGR cooler getting blocked.

Then read @Fredastaire s thread
Can this have the delete fitted and mapped out

Can this have the delete fitted and mapped out
So far, No.
Its not as simple as having a dpf or egr delete. There are 2 egrs one on a high pressure system and one low , there is also an update to the ecu required by Fiat. So far members have been talking to various remappers and it s apperrent no one has successfully achieved this.
This engine was only produced from late 2016 to late 2019

I can only confirm that @theoneandonly has made a correct statement.
The second thread on here identified above P0401..what do I do next was started by me.
In first instance you need a knowledgeable friend with a laptop and has multiecuscan installed so you can interrogate. Please join and report on the P0401 thread so we keep all together in one place.
Our vans were only made in a three year window and are nothing like what came before or after. I think it dangerous to employ a remap guy who isn't aware of the twin EGR version as he might easily install a modified software from an earlier type Ducato. I've asked remappers and they are not aware. (For example our DPF is nothing like earlier versions)..
If you go direct to a Fiat garage your repair quote will be £7-10 thousand!!!!!!
Virtually any 'normal' garage wil have no
experience of a twin EGR Ducato - fact.
When you read the main thread you will see which parts I've changed so far. Current I'm wondering how long my 'new' EGR cooler will survive before it needs replacement again.
Please please do your homework reading and using a laptop to interrogate.

So far, No.
Its not as simple as having a dpf or egr delete. There are 2 egrs one on a high pressure system and one low , there is also an update to the ecu required by Fiat. So far members have been talking to various remappers and it s apperrent no one has successfully achieved this.
This engine was only produced from late 2016 to late 2019

Attachments

• 16953988114732500191795706454802.jpg
    16953988114732500191795706454802.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 16953988340125236987077928307072.jpg
    16953988340125236987077928307072.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 16953988479244306511420017121323.jpg
    16953988479244306511420017121323.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 16953988602375299324044412965265.jpg
    16953988602375299324044412965265.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 16953988743733990595707151566920.jpg
    16953988743733990595707151566920.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
Right, that's something 100%different and a quantity of errors.
My immediate thoughts having read many other posts is to look for wiring harness abrasion and cut wires.
Open the bonnet. As you are standing looking, on your right ( vehicle left) fixed to the bulkhead is the diesel filter.
Look at it's lower bottom and find the wiring harness, it's known to catch here, not sure if it's brackets or a bolt. I've read of vibration damage here.
The other typical general fails is water getting in the the fuse box area in this same zone.
My reason for the earlier conclusion is that the exhaust should be near on spotless. Soot indicated a cracked DPF, (which mine is).
I will look for your next comments

Back