General Got this Fiat 850 on a trade, did I score?

Currently reading:
General Got this Fiat 850 on a trade, did I score?

Matt129

Hello everyone, back in October I traded a rusted out old 53 Studebaker project I had (it really wasn’t that bad but needed a TON of work) for a 99% rust free 850 Spider with 56,000 original miles. I had about $6000 into the studebaker when I made the even trade. The 850 runs and drives remarkably well, almost like a new car IMO. Has plenty of power, enough for me anyhow with how small it is, darts around and takes corners like a champ. The interior was partially redone at some point but is an exact replica of what it would have had originally from what I can tell, if I didn’t know better I would think it was original and is in great shape. The paint is decent, not original and not show quality, but a solid 10 footer. It’s had a lot of mechanical work done according to the previous owner, new head gasket, new carburetor, the cooling system has been gone through (and I believe it because it doesn’t overheat), and it came with a lot of spare parts. The car has a few issues but none of them seem horrendous, correct me if I’m wrong. The fuel gauge does not work, although I think that’s just the sending unit since the needle itself does move it’s just not reflecting what’s actually in the (needs to be cleaned) tank. There is a rattle coming from the engine when it’s running after it gets warm that I *think* is just the timing chain, which is a cheap part. The sound isn’t coming from the valve cover and doesn’t sound like a rod knock, so the only thing left is the timing chain I would think, it doesn’t sound like a bearing. Honestly if it were a rod knock it would have blown by now with how much I drove it after I first got it lol. I put a good 500 mostly trouble free miles on it. The convertible top needs new fabric but the frame is good, and it came with a decent condition factory hard top. It’s the vinyl covered top and it’s not too bad, has a little bit of cracking in the rubber and plastic here and there but is hardly noticeable and the glass is good. Worst bit is that someone drilled a couple small holes in it with a power drill in one spot, but on the bright side it’s on the outside of the seal on the gutter rail so it’s not going to cause a leak. The only other major issue I can think of, is that the heater core needs a new valve but that’s it, even the blower fan works. The car sounds healthy (aside from the rattle), has good oil pressure, doesn’t smoke, shifts pretty smooth and if I remember correctly the guy might have said he replaced the clutch too, but even if he didn’t it grips and feels good lol. Most of the electronics work except for the cigarette lighter and half of the hazard lights (only one side blinks for some reason lol). The cigarette lighter is disconnected I believe, and the pump for the washer fluid is gone, but the wipers still work fine. The radio is long gone but it has a custom blanking plate that doesn’t look out of place. It also has a Roosevelt console, which is something that I was very excited to see, and it still has the protective metal plate that goes under the engine. I think I got a steal but I don’t know that much about these cars other than what Google and the previous owner told me, so did I? Thanks for any info you can give me!

Attachments

• 6F5A6C4F-091B-4577-9D73-984BA27FC1D8.jpeg
    6F5A6C4F-091B-4577-9D73-984BA27FC1D8.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 93
  • 35F11E7A-3F3E-472A-9A9C-40729B148C5E.jpeg
    35F11E7A-3F3E-472A-9A9C-40729B148C5E.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 174B7E0B-A19B-4ECF-926A-6BCC4521F469.jpeg
    174B7E0B-A19B-4ECF-926A-6BCC4521F469.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • B6DC8C7B-63E3-451B-9D98-E7C8264B1BC7.jpeg
    B6DC8C7B-63E3-451B-9D98-E7C8264B1BC7.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 44
Would you be interest in selling the Roosevelt console? If not, would you take some photos of it so maybe I can have something similar made. Thanks!

Back