General Gear Stick Gaiter Change - how?

Currently reading:
General Gear Stick Gaiter Change - how?

I've scoured a few threads, and tried google, but i'm struggling to find anything concrete on how to swap over the gaiter around the gear stick.

I got bored of just black, so i have a nice snazy new black leather with red stitching, and ofcourse want to fit it. I'm not the most technical person in the world, and most things i attempt i break as i'm too heavy handed. But if anyone has any experience on how to remove/change these please speak up :)

Would love a helpfull push in the right direction!?

Hi Wisey. I wasn't sure so just went and tried with mine lol. Its pretty easy so just follow what I did below:

- Push the plastic trim at the bottom of the gaiter(where it meets the plastic panels that run from the dash to rear) inwards so you open up a gap
- Insert a flat screwdriver (or keys as i did as they were to hand)
- Lever the trim out. It will pop as the catches come out
- Undo the velcro on the gaiter and pull the whole unit up over the knob
- To release the leather, hold the tabs back and pull the outer trim from the inner. You will understand which bits I mean when you get this far :)
- Replace with your new leather gaiter
- Do everything in reverse to re-fit.

Hope this helps

Chris

Ace! I'll report back when i've tried.

I got as far as squeezing the black trim at the base the first time, but with my history of breaking anything i attempt i opted to throw a few questions here and there first! Haha. Righto, off to go and try now....

Officially - Thank you!

Done and dusted. Red leather stitched gaiter fitted and looking spiffing!

Came straight out, stuck my key down the side and popped it out. Then the clips just pushed off and then off with the old on with the new. Only thing that i struggled with was clipping it back in. Every time i thought it was back in place i did a quick gear change and it pulled it all up around the neck of the gear stick. Took me 3 attempts to realise i hadn't clipped the clips back into the frame of the car aswell as the initial little trim plate.

Thanks again :)

James

Oh god, i wouldnt have done half the things to my car had the internet and forums not been around. Makes it so much easier, if not making the task easier just for the peace of mind that i'm going about it the right way.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-GRANDE-PUNTO-06-10-red-stitch-LEATHER-GEAR-GAITER-/230702072441?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D880561993930805770%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26#ht_849wt_932

Thats the link to the one i bought and just fitted. No pics of it on my car yet, but it looks great. I actually think its better quality than the standard one! With my white, red and black themed GP it fits the bill a treat :p

Mitcar on the 5th. I'm tempted, very tempted. Stanford was my first event and i had a blast, despite the rain. Very very tempted. Its quite close to me aswell....Assuming you are going to be there by you asking?

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Subtle hint for me to bring myself along with my GP. Well, as i said...very tempted. I'd say 90% cert i'll go haha. My GP isn't massively tweaked anyway, only what it says in my sig (and now the gaiter) :p Bee sting ariel in the post aswell :yum:

TheSilverFox

Hey, thought i'd get an image up of it on my car. Allows people to see exactly how it looks on the GP. Alls i need now is a decent lift reverse knob as the standard one looks even tackier than before - if thats possible!

What do you think? I like it :p Such a simple, cheap, yet rather effective mod IMO.

Last edited:
The gaiter does indeed have velcro. I think i need a special tool to remove the gear knob do i not? Need to find one first before all that though. Task:Impossible

Really? I read that they snap on the GP if twisted, and it said not to try as even slight force seemed to make them just give way....Makes replacing it easier though i suppose if i can only find a suitable replacement now.

Show off! Haha, well fair play to you. Certainly if you can do it why not. I can't even so a button on to anything, and even then i'd probably sow it to my finger and not realise!

Any reason why you did two colours on the stitching? Think one would colour would look better, thats my only critique. It looks great though, kudos to you!

Haha cheers bud! Well now i've thought about it, i'm not too sure why either. Im going to try get some bright red thread and I might redo it if I can be bothered. I mean I have the time(currently recovering from ACL reconstruction surgery to my knee and off work for 4 weeks :) so...) but its a ballache to undo and redo just for a change of colour!

I imagine that would be harder to implement, but if done correctly that would be a funky look. I have no idea how 'correctly' would imply it be done though :p

Back