Best metal for socket sets?

Currently reading:
Best metal for socket sets?

Back in 2000 when in Italy at the Co-Op in Cortina I bought a bargain ABC Tools A3115/5 socket set (surface drive) for £94.95. It now costs £409.30.

https://www.abctools.it/en/prodotti...9-chiavi-a-bussola-e-accessori/a31155000.html

Packaging has changed.

Prior to this I was using, and still have Kamasa 1/2" and 3/4" drive, which many of us oldies used for many years a long time ago. The 3/4" drive is a real nut buster as there is no 1/2" shaft bending and springing.
A nice set you've got there! £409 is more than the cost of a scrapyard car.

I ended up buying a good set of sockets, just the wrong ones for the job, so I bought another set and promptly lost the only size I needed! I'm a bit bemused by the loss but its been so wet I haven't got close to doing anything on the car anyways.

and promptly lost the only size I needed! I'm a bit bemused by the loss but its been so wet I haven't got close to doing anything on the car anyways.
I personally hate loosing tools. I go ballistic and hunt and hunt, think at night where did it/they go, did I leave it on the drive and someone stole it? Pretty OCD when it comes to stuff like this. Even if the tool was rubbish 50 pence item and I had a spare/duplicate I would still go bonkers.

Some of this is because the loss could be in the engine bay / other place and cause damage. The rest of the time it is because I'm ...........

I personally hate loosing tools. I go ballistic and hunt and hunt, think at night where did it/they go, did I leave it on the drive and someone stole it? Pretty OCD when it comes to stuff like this. Even if the tool was rubbish 50 pence item and I had a spare/duplicate I would still go bonkers.

Some of this is because the loss could be in the engine bay / other place and cause damage. The rest of the time it is because I'm ...........
I'd owned the socket for less than 24 hours when it went missing so it was an usually quick loss, i've had the whole family looking, and yes wondered if someone stole it off the drive.

Over Christmas I got a personalised jigsaw puzzle made with family photos, it was a load of fun putting it all together. And at the end, guess what? There was one piece missing, we hunted high and low before deciding the company that made it had lost it. Last week the missing piece turned up...only 4 months later. So anyway, i'm now expecting this socket to appear sometime around August :)

Yeah, that dread of dropping a smaller tool or socket down the back of the engine bay and thinking the hour will be spent finding it

I buy spares if things likely to be lost, I have a lot of 10mm spanners around the garage as well as a lot of 10, 13 and 17mm sockets.

Actually I have a lot of different socket sets 1/4 3/8th and 1/2inch and usually have a couple of different set of sockets to fit each of them. A couple of years back I bought a really good set of 1/2inch deep sockets to go a long with a normal 1/2 inch socket set. The combination of those two will get most bolts out

The other thing I do is buy 6 sided sockets not the type that love to round every thing off you try to use them on

Maybe not quite to the same degree but I grew up with a father who never put tools away and then would blame me and my brothers for using them and losing them because of that and never being able to find a tool when you wanted/needed it growing up I not take meticulous care of tools and will even have a tidy up mid job just to make sure I know where everything is

Sadly you / I / Us generally work alone. Yet surgeons have a whole operating team but they still seem to loose instruments and often in the patient and all stitched up not to be discovered till a painful incident or the airport scanner going bonkers!

Thankfully I've not swallowed a tool yet, that I know of. Maybe that is where my little xyz went?

Maybe not quite to the same degree but I grew up with a father who never put tools away and then would blame me and my brothers for using them and losing them because of that and never being able to find a tool when you wanted/needed it growing up I not take meticulous care of tools and will even have a tidy up mid job just to make sure I know where everything is
Our garage was converted into another bedroom long before we arrived. I have a tool trolley in the conservatory at the back of the house. What happens is that i come indoors from the drive then put things down in ordinary household places, usually its somewhere obvious. I'm fairly close to just buying another socket now.

I'd owned the socket for less than 24 hours when it went missing so it was an usually quick loss, i've had the whole family looking, and yes wondered if someone stole it off the drive.

Over Christmas I got a personalised jigsaw puzzle made with family photos, it was a load of fun putting it all together. And at the end, guess what? There was one piece missing, we hunted high and low before deciding the company that made it had lost it. Last week the missing piece turned up...only 4 months later. So anyway, i'm now expecting this socket to appear sometime around August :)

I found it today! So it was missing for 20 days. Ironically I'd ordered a replacement set yesterday, I tried to cancel that order but it is still going to arrive, I'll have to refuse it.

Drum roll....the socket was on my third unused car just sat on another bolt. I'd tightened up the bolt, removed the ratchett and the socket was left behind :)

I found it today! So it was missing for 20 days. Ironically I'd ordered a replacement set yesterday, I tried to cancel that order but it is still going to arrive, I'll have to refuse it.

Drum roll....the socket was on my third unused car just sat on another bolt. I'd tightened up the bolt, removed the ratchett and the socket was left behind :)
That that on my old car with the locking nut key
Then put the wheel bolt center cover over it
Found it 3 months later when I went to remove the wheels

That that on my old car with the locking nut key
Then put the wheel bolt center cover over it
Found it 3 months later when I went to remove the wheels
I was happy to get my socket back. It felt like a mystery was solved. Saved me the cost of buying the new one too.

Which is the best/strongest metal for sockets?

There seem to be lots of different types of steel and some must be better than others.

I need an 11mm socket for a half inch wrench. I have the rest of the socket sizes I need, but rather than buying a single socket I'm thinking about buying this set made from CR-V Ming Vanadium Steel.

I bought a large set of the black impact sockets from a tool stall in a market for €80 euro every size from 10-32 standard and deep sockets, best thing ever and will outlast me, no doubt 🤗👍🇮🇪
I do have normal sockets collected over the years but my new makita impact gun eats them for breakfast 😋

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Buy a decent set from Halfords, halfords sets come with a life time warranty
Good idea for my uncle's retirement gift. He'll finally got more tire from his Jeep project. The new suspension kit from 4Wheelonline should arrive soon so gonna order

Good idea for my uncle's retirement gift. He'll finally got more tire from his Jeep project. The new suspension kit from 4Wheelonline should arrive soon so gonna order
you might struggle with that as it says you are based in the USA and Halfords if very much a UK company.

I am sure Harbor freight will have a similar range with a good guarantee.

you might struggle with that as it says you are based in the USA and Halfords if very much a UK company.

I am sure Harbor freight will have a similar range with a good guarantee.
I've mentioned previously how I'm a big fan of Halfords. Their "Halfords Advance" range of tools are pretty decent. However do make sure you're buying from their "Advance" tools range - Nothing wrong with their more budget stuff compared to other budget tools, just don't expect miracles if you buy one and expect it to undo a humoungously tight fixing! Over the last 15 years or so I've bought a number of their Advance tools, most impressive has been this "go thru" socket set:

P1110790.JPG

which allows use when dealing with very long threaded fixings. Used it just yesterday on the battery hold down strap bolts when fitting a new battery to daughter in law's Mazda ". An unexpected advantage of it has also been the slimness of the ratchet head/socket:

P1110795.JPG

From the left the ones at the bottom are typical examples of 1/2" then 3/8" and finally 1/4" drive ratchets. Above them are the equivalents in the Go thru (American spelling) ratchet/socket assemblies. You can see how the go thru design is considerably less deep? this has been of great advantage when working on stuff like cam belts where access is limited between the front of the block and inner wing. Only criticism I can think to make is you can't buy a power bar/"T" handle for them in the UK. However the socket wall thickness is very average so probably you wouldn't choose one of these to undo "stupidly tight" fixings?

I'm very interested in quality tools and have spent many hours researching suppliers on the internet. During these searches I've been interested to find that a lot of these mid range but good quality tools are produced by big tool making concerns. For instance, I believe the Go Thru sockets I bought from Halfords are actually manufactured by the Apex Tool Group: https://www.apextoolgroup.com/ I have seen the exact same tools, but with a far bigger range of optional add ons, in tool stores in the US branded Gear Wrench. I wouldn't be surprised to find that many mid range tools are "rebrands" manufactured by a relatively small number of manufacturers and this is probably not a bad thing in terms of quality. Unfortunately there is also a lot of nasty cheap dross out there too so you need to be careful. Buying from a trusted source - like Halfords or Machine Mart - would be a good starting point. My local Trade factor stocks good stuff too.

Regarding loosing tools? I think it's almost unavoidable. However I have a few simple rules I impose upon myself. Whenever possible I have a small portable table which sits beside me when, for instance, working under the bonnet. I always put tools, or fixings (nuts, bolts, washers etc) down on the table - never on the scuttle panel or inner wings. If it's not convenient to use the table I always lay tools on the ground. That way when the car is gone any tools are immediately evident. Buy a mechanics tool chest with lots of shallow drawers. Spanners and other tools can then be laid out rather than on top of one another - as they end up in the typical cantilever box for example - and if one is missing you'll see the gap right away.

Sockets are especially easy to loose because they are small and can roll away. I can strongly recommend the "clip type" socket rails where you store the sockets on physical clips. If a socket is missing you will immediately see the clip standing out:

P1110793.JPG

I'm not so keen on the flat strip magnetic type for this reason. As your tool kit builds up being able to see at a glance if there's a "gap" is very handy and saves time at the end of the day when you're tired and just want to go in and have a nice cup of tea instead of checking socket sizes to find which one it is that's missing. You could spend a good few minutes checking something like this:

P1110791.JPG

I bought a large set of the black impact sockets from a tool stall in a market for €80 euro every size from 10-32 standard and deep sockets, best thing ever and will outlast me, no doubt 🤗👍🇮🇪
I do have normal sockets collected over the years but my new makita impact gun eats them for breakfast 😋

Yup, I tend to always reach for those black impact sockets first. However the much thinner sidewall of a 12 point chrome socket is sometimes needed due to clearance problems. Compare these two:

P1110794.JPG

The 12 pointer on the left just doesn't have the thickness to survive a decent impact wrench's attentions. Impact sockets, like the one on the right are made of less brittle metal too. If you do use a thin wall socket on an impact gun then be very careful as it can shatter quite violently and spin off wee sharp bits of metal as it breaks up - don't want something like that in your eye! By the way, notice that both these sockets are "Wall Drive". Look very carefully at the shape and you'll notice they are not "sharp" hex (or Bi hex) shapes. The points are rounded so that the force is not applied to the very point of the Nut/bolt hex shape but rather to the flank of the hex. This greatly reduces the tendency to round of a tight fixing. Most manufacturers are now producing tools to this design but cheaper offerings may not - just something to look out for.

And finally, if you're buying plug sockets, try the type which has a magnetic ring to retain the plug:

P1110796.JPG

The two on the right are "old friends" both of which have lost their rubber inserts while the two on the left have the magnetic rings plainly visible. With most modern engines having their plugs deeply recessed in the head you really need a socket which holds the plug while you are installing it - Ok, you can "fiddle" about with bits of rubber hose etc, but a retaining socket is much easier. The magnet is strong enough to hold the plug while you gently get it engaged with the thread and then tighten down all in one operation but then can be pulled out of the hole still on the extension. ie. the magnet is not so strong the socket stays on the plug and the extension comes away on it's own! I only bought these a few years ago as a "treat" but wish I'd bought them earlier. they are far superior to use compared to the old rubber insert type. I don't think they are likely to loose their magnetic rings either whereas the rubber inserts always shrink or fall to pieces when they get older. You'll notice too that the old ones are bi hex (12 point) and not Wall Drive whereas the new ones are single hex (6 point) and do feature wall drive design. Obviously a 6 point is far less likely to round off the fixing/plug/whatever. I mention this because spark plugs are very different "animals" these days compared to what they were in days gone by. Not so long ago you would renew plugs at 12,000 miles or annually, or maybe Bi annually, but now 50, 60 or 70 thousand miles with 5 or 6 years between attention not unusual. I know plug threads are now "Bivalent" plated (think that's what they call it?) to stop them corroding to aluminium heads, but if it does corrode in place it's going to have a nice long time to "bond" before you get to it. The single hex gives you more of a chance of getting it out - if you don't shear it in place that is! By the way, anti seize is now definitely frowned on when installing plugs. See here: https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/5-things-you-should-know-about-spark-plugs#:~:text=This silver or chrome-colored,agent during spark plug removal.

As usual, I'm afraid I did "go on" a bit. Sorry if anyone got bored? Hope someone found it useful though?

Last edited:
I've mentioned previously how I'm a big fan of Halfords. Their "Halfords Advance" range of tools are pretty decent. However do make sure you're buying from their "Advance" tools range - Nothing wrong with their more budget stuff compared to other budget tools, just don't expect miracles if you buy one and expect it to undo a humoungously tight fixing! Over the last 15 years or so I've bought a number of their Advance tools, most impressive has been this "go thru" socket set:

View attachment 445032

which allows use when dealing with very long threaded fixings. Used it just yesterday on the battery hold down strap bolts when fitting a new battery to daughter in law's Mazda ". An unexpected advantage of it has also been the slimness of the ratchet head/socket:

View attachment 445033

From the left the ones at the bottom are typical examples of 1/2" then 3/8" and finally 1/4" drive ratchets. Above them are the equivalents in the Go thru (American spelling) ratchet/socket assemblies. You can see how the go thru design is considerably less deep? this has been of great advantage when working on stuff like cam belts where access is limited between the front of the block and inner wing. Only criticism I can think to make is you can't buy a power bar/"T" handle for them in the UK. However the socket wall thickness is very average so probably you wouldn't choose one of these to undo "stupidly tight" fixings?

I'm very interested in quality tools and have spent many hours researching suppliers on the internet. During these searches I've been interested to find that a lot of these mid range but good quality tools are produced by big tool making concerns. For instance, I believe the Go Thru sockets I bought from Halfords are actually manufactured by the Apex Tool Group: https://www.apextoolgroup.com/ I have seen the exact same tools, but with a far bigger range of optional add ons, in tool stores in the US branded Gear Wrench. I wouldn't be surprised to find that many mid range tools are "rebrands" manufactured by a relatively small number of manufacturers and this is probably not a bad thing in terms of quality. Unfortunately there is also a lot of nasty cheap dross out there too so you need to be careful. Buying from a trusted source - like Halfords or Machine Mart - would be a good starting point. My local Trade factor stocks good stuff too.

Regarding loosing tools? I think it's almost unavoidable. However I have a few simple rules I impose upon myself. Whenever possible I have a small portable table which sits beside me when, for instance, working under the bonnet. I always put tools, or fixings (nuts, bolts, washers etc) down on the table - never on the scuttle panel or inner wings. If it's not convenient to use the table I always lay tools on the ground. That way when the car is gone any tools are immediately evident. Buy a mechanics tool chest with lots of shallow drawers. Spanners and other tools can then be laid out rather than on top of one another - as they end up in the typical cantilever box for example - and if one is missing you'll see the gap right away.

Sockets are especially easy to loose because they are small and can roll away. I can strongly recommend the "clip type" socket rails where you store the sockets on physical clips. If a socket is missing you will immediately see the clip standing out:

View attachment 445036

I'm not so keen on the flat strip magnetic type for this reason. As your tool kit builds up being able to see at a glance if there's a "gap" is very handy and saves time at the end of the day when you're tired and just want to go in and have a nice cup of tea instead of checking socket sizes to find which one it is that's missing. You could spend a good few minutes checking something like this:

View attachment 445037

Yup, I tend to always reach for those black impact sockets first. However the much thinner sidewall of a 12 point chrome socket is sometimes needed due to clearance problems. Compare these two:

View attachment 445038

The 12 pointer on the left just doesn't have the thickness to survive a decent impact wrench's attentions. Impact sockets, like the one on the right are made of less brittle metal too. If you do use a thin wall socket on an impact gun then be very careful as it can shatter quite violently and spin off wee sharp bits of metal as it breaks up - don't want something like that in your eye! By the way, notice that both these sockets are "Wall Drive". Look very carefully at the shape and you'll notice they are not "sharp" hex (or Bi hex) shapes. The points are rounded so that the force is not applied to the very point of the Nut/bolt hex shape but rather to the flank of the hex. This greatly reduces the tendency to round of a tight fixing. Most manufacturers are now producing tools to this design but cheaper offerings may not - just something to look out for.

And finally, if you're buying plug sockets, try the type which has a magnetic ring to retain the plug:

View attachment 445040

The two on the right are "old friends" both of which have lost their rubber inserts while the two on the left have the magnetic rings plainly visible. With most modern engines having their plugs deeply recessed in the head you really need a socket which holds the plug while you are installing it - Ok, you can "fiddle" about with bits of rubber hose etc, but a retaining socket is much easier. The magnet is strong enough to hold the plug while you gently get it engaged with the thread and then tighten down all in one operation but then can be pulled out of the hole still on the extension. ie. the magnet is not so strong the socket stays on the plug and the extension comes away on it's own! I only bought these a few years ago as a "treat" but wish I'd bought them earlier. they are far superior to use compared to the old rubber insert type. I don't think they are likely to loose their magnetic rings either whereas the rubber inserts always shrink or fall to pieces when they get older. You'll notice too that the old ones are bi hex (12 point) and not Wall Drive whereas the new ones are single hex (6 point) and do feature wall drive design. Obviously a 6 point is far less likely to round off the fixing/plug/whatever. I mention this because spark plugs are very different "animals" these days compared to what they were in days gone by. Not so long ago you would renew plugs at 12,000 miles or annually, or maybe Bi annually, but now 50, 60 or 70 thousand miles with 5 or 6 years between attention not unusual. I know plug threads are now "Bivalent" plated (think that's what they call it?) to stop them corroding to aluminium heads, but if it does corrode in place it's going to have a nice long time to "bond" before you get to it. The single hex gives you more of a chance of getting it out - if you don't shear it in place that is! By the way, anti seize is now definitely frowned on when installing plugs. See here: https://ngksparkplugs.com/en/resources/5-things-you-should-know-about-spark-plugs#:~:text=This silver or chrome-colored,agent during spark plug removal.

As usual, I'm afraid I did "go on" a bit. Sorry if anyone got bored? Hope someone found it useful though?
Some people won't buy too many tools until they find themselves stuck on a job under the car..... then it's nice to be able to root in the toolbox and just pick up the thing you need 🤗
It's taken me a long while to accumulate all I've got and I remember when even finding out about what was available was impossible, plus some tools were only available to the "trade" 🙄

I need to get a decent set of impact sockets. I have a very nice collection of normal sockets I have curated over the years but working on the Punto over the last couple of weeks, it is amazing how quickly you can cause damage to a non- hardened socket on an impact driver.

My 20+ year old socket set is from Halfords professional range and while I have lost a few bits and bobs I have not lost any of the main bits, just the stupid really small sized sockets that no one ever uses but disappear if you drop the case. I recently as an experiment refurbished the Torx bits from that set and did a little short video for youtube.

These days I am finding I have most tools for most jobs, I have found like Jock that organizing sockets on those strips is much more convenient, I also dab a bit of my wife's nail varnish over the writing for the size to help make it more visible. (paint it on, rub it off and it leaves colour in the text)

Probably the most useful tool anyone could buy is a good quality longer 3/4 inch breaker bar. I think mine is about 450mm I could do with one that is a little longer for more stubborn bolts but so far this has been perfectly good for 99% of what I would ever need it for.

crack the bolt with a breaker bar then drive it out with the impact on the worst most stuck bolts.

Anyone who watched my video where I removed the cylinder head will see that it became a two man job to turn the bolt and keep the bar straight onto the bolt so there are occasions a bigger bar would be useful.

I need to get a decent set of impact sockets. I have a very nice collection of normal sockets I have curated over the years but working on the Punto over the last couple of weeks, it is amazing how quickly you can cause damage to a non- hardened socket on an impact driver.
I'd had "ordinary" impact sockets for years before deciding to splash out on a set of deep ones. I already knew I wanted single hex type so started to look at the options and came across Bergen's Xi-Ion sockets. They are just like normal deep impact sockets but have some grooves running down the face of every second face (so 3 of the 6 faces) on the side which contacts the nut/bolt when applying an anticlockwise force - as you do when undoing most right hand threaded fixings:

P1090586.JPG

here's a close up:

P1090588.JPG

The claim is that it bites into the fixing where other designs tend to round the corners off. I found it difficult to see it working but they were deep impact sockets, from a brand name I trusted - from previous purchases - and the price was right, so I bought the "big" kit (10 to 32mm). I tell you what, they really do work. Used on normally tightened fixings they behave just as you'd expect any socket to. However when undoing - anticlockwise - an exceptionally tight/seized nut/bolt then, as it starts to round off the corners, instead of just slipping over the points and rounding it off the little grooves cut into the faces of the nut/bolt as they deform and provide much more purchase. Of course it can't perform miracles but it works much better than an ordinary socket in this sort of scenario.

I also dab a bit of my wife's nail varnish over the writing for the size to help make it more visible. (paint it on, rub it off and it leaves colour in the text)
Now there's an idea. However, don't know about you, but I can look at most common nut's/bolts and just know "that one needs a 10mm socket, or 13mm or 17mm or 19mm" I do get caught out by the more unusual ones - like some of the Asian/Japanese makes tend to use 12mm where I'd be expecting a 13 and 15mm crops up now and again. However the problem there is more one of identifying the fixing size not the socket itself.

Probably the most useful tool anyone could buy is a good quality longer 3/4 inch breaker bar. I think mine is about 450mm I could do with one that is a little longer for more stubborn bolts but so far this has been perfectly good for 99% of what I would ever need it for.

crack the bolt with a breaker bar then drive it out with the impact on the worst most stuck bolts.
3/4 inch drive, now you're talking "muscle". Many years ago a friend tipped me off that a local elderly "one man band" workshop was shutting his doors for good and was holding a sale of his stuff that weekend for anyone in the trade who wanted to go along. So I went. Most of the stuff was heavy equipment, like his 4 poster, air compressor, etc but there was also a large 3/4 inch drive socket set which no one even bid on so I got it for a song. Most of the sockets are larger than you need on private vehicles so seldom see the light of day (but are very useful on the odd occasion you need them) but it also included a ratchet, "T" bar and 3 extensions. The "T" bar in particular has been very useful together with a piece of pipe to increase the leverage. Although I don't need to use it too often I found myself using it often enough to be worth buying a power bar to complement it:

P1110798.JPG

The 1/2" bar at the top of the picture is my "trusty" old Britool, just to give you a sense of scale - it's 14" or 360mm long. Next down is the new 3/4" drive power bar and it's 2ft/600mm long. The "T" bar is 16"/400mm long but is largely redundant now I've got the bigger power bar. This gear is so heavy duty you can put the extension tube over either the "T" bar or power bar and jump up and down on the end without them hardly bending at all!

The claim is that it bites into the fixing where other designs tend to round the corners off. I found it difficult to see it working but they were deep impact sockets, from a brand name I trusted - from previous purchases - and the price was right, so I bought the "big" kit (10 to 32mm). I tell you what, they really do work. Used on normally tightened fixings they behave just as you'd expect any socket to. However when undoing - anticlockwise - an exceptionally tight/seized nut/bolt then, as it starts to round off the corners, instead of just slipping over the points and rounding it off the little grooves cut into the faces of the nut/bolt as they deform and provide much more purchase. Of course it can't perform miracles but it works much better than an ordinary socket in this sort of scenario.
I noticed them in your pictures above, I think my current set of deep sockets are bergen and they are really good, so I will have to check these out. I don't mind paying for good tools I am just not paying snap on prices.

Now there's an idea. However, don't know about you, but I can look at most common nut's/bolts and just know "that one needs a 10mm socket, or 13mm or 17mm or 19mm" I do get caught out by the more unusual ones - like some of the Asian/Japanese makes tend to use 12mm where I'd be expecting a 13 and 15mm crops up now and again. However the problem there is more one of identifying the fixing size not the socket itself.
I am pretty good at looking at the fastening and knowing what I am going to need, I have discovered recently that fiat like to use 10-11-12-13-15-17-18 and 19 under the bonnet and on the suspension.

The problem being when you are switching from one to the other especially 10-11 and 12 and they all look similar to grab when you are working off a bench or table and the sockets are jumbled together as you are using them. Just roll it till you can see the lettering and that quickly confirms which one you need, low light or laying under a car and if the tool has been stamped with a shallow imprint can make it a little harder to read. So the nail varnish helps.

3/4 inch drive, now you're talking "muscle". Many years ago a friend tipped me off that a local elderly "one man band" workshop was shutting his doors for good and was holding a sale of his stuff that weekend for anyone in the trade who wanted to go along. So I went. Most of the stuff was heavy equipment, like his 4 poster, air compressor, etc but there was also a large 3/4 inch drive socket set which no one even bid on so I got it for a song. Most of the sockets are larger than you need on private vehicles so seldom see the light of day (but are very useful on the odd occasion you need them) but it also included a ratchet, "T" bar and 3 extensions. The "T" bar in particular has been very useful together with a piece of pipe to increase the leverage. Although I don't need to use it too often I found myself using it often enough to be worth buying a power bar to complement it:

View attachment 445082

The 1/2" bar at the top of the picture is my "trusty" old Britool, just to give you a sense of scale - it's 14" or 360mm long. Next down is the new 3/4" drive power bar and it's 2ft/600mm long. The "T" bar is 16"/400mm long but is largely redundant now I've got the bigger power bar. This gear is so heavy duty you can put the extension tube over either the "T" bar or power bar and jump up and down on the end without them hardly bending at all!
The handle of the second one down looks just like mine but the head on mine is different. Probably the same brand? I can't remember what mine actually is but I got it from machine mart for removing Range Rover wheel bolts when I had my 86 Classic. as I had completely bent the standard boot tool box wheel wrench.

I have a T-handle but almost never use it. Every time I have used them in the past I have always managed to bend the handle so I tend to stick to a good breaker bar, can't go too far wrong with that...

"Give me a long enough lever and a fulcrum and I shall move the earth." Archimedes
leverage will always win.... one way or another.

Back