Technical 500X Exterior door handle

Currently reading:
Technical 500X Exterior door handle

Morning all - all been going well in my 500X world - sailed through MOT etc etc - last time I posted, it was about getting a full service and the cam belt/water pump job done - all good thanks to Small Car Services down towards the New Forest. Now... the chrome/plastic capping on my driver's door handle keeps falling off. I can't really tell if it's broken in some way but no matter how secure it feels every time I reattach it, it clatters to the ground when I come back to use the car! It reminds me that about the only issue we ever had with our first ordinary 500 (not X) was the door handle falling off.

Anyway... what's to be done?

Would it be silly to glue it back on?

If I obtain the new part (how? where? other than main dealer) will I be able to fix it ok myself?

Easy to do yourself

Last edited:
did this on my daughters 500x the clip on the cap has broken off i got the part from dealer only about £8 clipped it on and problem solved , but how they break is a mystery as it is not a moving part

My second one has broken today, there is some slight play in the drivers door handle, you can slide it a few mm left to right, I don't know the answer without stripping the door,

My second one has broken today, there is some slight play in the drivers door handle, you can slide it a few mm left to right, I don't know the answer without stripping the door,
Thanks, Alboreto - yes, that's my experience , too with the slightly sliding door handle. In another post about this, someone mentioned removing the rubber grommet on the end of the panel and then tightening/loosening the hex bolt (or whatever it's called) within. I wonder if this stops the handle sliding back and forth. Anyone know the answer to this?

Back