IMG_7213 (Large) (Small).jpeg

124 Spider (Classic) 124cs20152496

Introduction

My 1979 124 Fiat Spider 2000,...
Just finishing it's build and restoration:

Todd.
Colorado, USA.
Reactions: ben and everson38
My Spider's build date is 2/79. 124CS20152496.
I drove past the “For Sale” car every day,...to, and from, work for six months. That was spring of 2000.
Silver with red interior, AT, intact top. Ran like CRAP! Died on the test drive,...had to walk back.
$2000. Newly re-painted it's original silver (over a bubble – behind driver's door!), but no air filter (due
to fires from the failed reed valves dumping exhaust directly into the air cleaner!). And abused in a number of ways, but cosmetically and mechanically salvageable.
Purchased 6/2000. I had the car back on the road, with a rebuilt block (rebuilt the OHCs myself) by 11/2000. I installed all new front suspension and shocks at that time. I installed a new canvas top from an old company that some might recognize,...Caribou. GREAT top, crappy company.
I refurbished the car with parts from another old company, Bayless (Marietta, GA). The best supplier,...missed dearly. Then the car was 'placed on the backburner' for a number of years – just no time for it. I began work again in 2017.
Nearly rust-free to this day, now the Spider runs like it should. The crossmember attachment has now been altered “Abarth-style”. The suspension is completely rebuilt, again – passed alignment nicely. Brand new brakes, hoses. An e-fuel pump supplies the 32/36 DFAV on a single plane manifold, and it resides underneath the cars' slightly altered, stock air cleaner. The rebuilt short block has just barely been broken-in, at this point (twenty years later).14” fan and new radiator, Accel module/new distrib./new coil. Stock 4-2-1exhaust with defeated cat., new muffler. New guibo, driveshaft, AT tranny seals.
The car still has an nice, acceptable interior, but I did my own re-upholstery.
After significant minor (I do that)/major (done by a frame/bodyman) bodywork, I've painted the car in the original “Grigio Metallico” (silver birch metallic) base coat/clear coat 8/2021.
Thanks for asking, everson38!

Last edited:
Back