Technical Shrinking Rubber!

Currently reading:
Technical Shrinking Rubber!

DemonPandaOwner

Hello All.
I'm hoping you can help me out with a weird window issue with my 2004 Panda 1.2 Dynamic. Just recently I've noticed the rubber weather strip at the bottom of the windows on the Drivers side have shrunk away from the edge by about 1/2 inch or so. (See attached Photos) Weirdly it is most obvious on the drivers side, though the passenger side is a tiny bit short as well. What worries me most is that water could get into the door and rot it from the inside out. I've already got an issue with the window on the passenger side front where it is grinding almost and that window has the best weather strip of the lot!

Is this a common problem? I know the car is 20 years old now, but I don't recall ever having an issue with any previous cars I've owned. The windscreen rubber has also shrunk by about 1 1/2 inches too and I've contacted Autoglass about it as the windscreen was replaced a few years back. I know they have a lifetime warranty, though I'm not sure they'll be willing to do anything. Still, worth asking I suppose.

I'd also like to know if I can buy an aftermarket replacement weatherstrip. I've tried my local spares shop and they can't help. The Fiat Main dealers have quoted £85 each for three of the windows and £42 for the other one, which doesn't make sense as the doors are surely the same just reversed for both front and back? At nearly £300 to replace the weather strip it's almost as much as the car is technically worth!

If I can't get any weatherstrip, does anyone have any other ideas as to what I can do?

Many Thanks
DPO

Attachments

• DRIVERS_DOOR[1].jpg
    DRIVERS_DOOR[1].jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 46
  • Windscreen_Passenger_side[1].jpg
    Windscreen_Passenger_side[1].jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
  • Windscreen_Drivers_side[1].jpg
    Windscreen_Drivers_side[1].jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
  • Rear_Door_Drivers_side[1].jpg
    Rear_Door_Drivers_side[1].jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
LMAO off at @SPORTPACK50

The shrinking is likely due to age, sun damage and heat drying them all out and causing them to shrink back.

firstly with the doors, water will always get down into the doors and there are drain holes at the bottom to let the water out again. There is a moisture barrier behind the door card that stops the water/moisture affecting anything in the cabin.

I would be inclinde to look on ebay for replacements from a lot newer car. There bits tend to get binned when people are scrapping cars therefore someone might do you a cheap deal if they're adverticing a panda as "breaking" This is probably the most obvious and simple way to deal with the problem and no they don't just turn the seals around for the back doors they will be different lengths.

They are very easy to remove, get your fingers under one end of them and pull it up, then just work your way a long pulling it up so you don't bend it. most are strong enough to pull it up at one end and continue to pull it completely away from the door in one go.

Hello All.
I'm hoping you can help me out with a weird window issue with my 2004 Panda 1.2 Dynamic. Just recently I've noticed the rubber weather strip at the bottom of the windows on the Drivers side have shrunk away from the edge by about 1/2 inch or so. (See attached Photos) Weirdly it is most obvious on the drivers side, though the passenger side is a tiny bit short as well. What worries me most is that water could get into the door and rot it from the inside out. I've already got an issue with the window on the passenger side front where it is grinding almost and that window has the best weather strip of the lot!

Is this a common problem? I know the car is 20 years old now, but I don't recall ever having an issue with any previous cars I've owned. The windscreen rubber has also shrunk by about 1 1/2 inches too and I've contacted Autoglass about it as the windscreen was replaced a few years back. I know they have a lifetime warranty, though I'm not sure they'll be willing to do anything. Still, worth asking I suppose.

I'd also like to know if I can buy an aftermarket replacement weatherstrip. I've tried my local spares shop and they can't help. The Fiat Main dealers have quoted £85 each for three of the windows and £42 for the other one, which doesn't make sense as the doors are surely the same just reversed for both front and back? At nearly £300 to replace the weather strip it's almost as much as the car is technically worth!

If I can't get any weatherstrip, does anyone have any other ideas as to what I can do?

Many Thanks
DPO
We owned a 1.1active from 2004 to 2018

It did something similar.. But NOT at 20 years old

From memory.. The black end cap of that strip/trim used to Expand in the sun, and would snag as you opened to door

Member @koalar may well have experienced both scenarios..🙂

One side of my 2010 was like this for years with no bother

However if you want it to look cosmetically correct, I suspect the options will be limited, for a reasonable cost,

My gut is saying most 169 will be in a similar condition, from the breakers, unless you are lucky enough to find one that's lived in a garage

As they are shaped and clipped it not as easy as the door seals, which can just be bought of the roll

I also suspect the later 319 will be the same

I have no proof to either case

I have had all manner of cars where the door rubbers shrink like this, and our blasted patio door which has shrunk at least 3cm at each corner! I treat these bits now with Armorall Shield which seems to help keep the rubber flexible and prevent its shrinking as far as I can tell. I expect its UV light that is the cause. My OCD streak will not tolerate such things so I would just buy a new one, if available, but in reality as others have said its mainly a cosmetic issue.

Back