General Lineage and verification

Currently reading:
General Lineage and verification

Documentation of true age

I will be titling my 500 in a few months. The issue that I am running into is that the car was previously titled in California and Washington as a 1964, while the car is truly a 1966. Is there a way to get official documentation or certificate showing that the car’s true age and maybe some of her history??

Attachments

• 5F41583C-1DCA-402A-817C-16525E2C8EEB.jpeg
    5F41583C-1DCA-402A-817C-16525E2C8EEB.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
You can try the Fiat 500 Club of Italy. Their main office in Garlenda has some research ability ([email protected] Matteo Romano - he speaks English, but I can help you with Italian if need be), but whether a US state would accept anything they give you is up in the air. FCA has a historical branch as well. I never heard back when I tried to reach out to them, but some of the forum members have. They have provided some certified document the UK MOT accepted, but again, different country, different process.

Honestly, it'll probably be more hassle than it's worth. Just use your CA/WA titles to get a new one. When you try, you may be able to just tell the clerk it was a mistake and they could fix it. Otherwise, I'd let it roll.

There is a chance that BOTH dates are correct. The car could have been BUILT in 1964, but only SOLD in 1966. If it was the end of '64 and the beggining of '66, that is not an unknown situation. I must admit, I would be VERY tempted to take Ryan's (LiteRye) suggestion and 'go with the flow' and just 'let it roll'. In trying to 'sort it out', there is a good chance that you could get involved in a real hassle.

I'm having a similar issue with mine: built in 1971 (supported by an ACI document and online research of VIN ranges/years) but the Italian reg doc says registered October 1975 because apparently it was re-registered then so the UK licensing authority gave it a 1975 date and registration. In my case I've got some additional information via one of the UK Fiat 500 clubs and sent it off to DVLA to see if they will change it. Not holding out much hope but I thought it was worth one try. If not, I'll stick with what I've got.

Good luck in your case!

Simon

Back