General 2010 Fiat Panda - Parts recommendation

Currently reading:
General 2010 Fiat Panda - Parts recommendation

Once a car is this old and has this level of corrosion, I'd question whether it's economically viable to keep it on the road unless you can do the work yourself.
And there's the kicker - haha!

Curious, when selling a car, obviously I'd disclose it needs work done, but am I looking at getting pennies for it if I sell it with a rear axle needing replaced? I've bought and sold cars before, but never usually with a big job to do on said car.

but am I looking at getting pennies for it if I sell it with a rear axle needing replaced
All you can do it to advertise it and see what offers you get.

Whatever the figure is, I think it would be better to take it than put any more money into this car.

Mentally, you have to stop thinking about what you've spent so far; it's what you might have to spend in the future that should be guiding your actions.

If you have an old, worn out rusty car , and you spend £xxxx having a new twist beam fitted, what you will have is an old worn out rusty car with a new twist beam. All the other things that were just waiting to go wrong will still be there, just waiting to go wrong.

This whole thread should be a warning to anyone to be wary of buying cheap stuff in poor condition, and I'd be the first person who should heed that warning - I've spent a lifetime accumulating junk that I'll get around to fixing one day (or maybe not!).

Last edited:
All you can do it to advertise it and see what offers you get.

Whatever the figure is, I think it would be better to take it than put any more money into this car.

Mentally, you have to stop thinking about what you've spent so far; it's what you might have to spend in the future that should be guiding your actions.

If you have an old, worn out rusty car , and you spend £xxxx having a new twist beam fitted, what you will have is an old worn out rusty car with a new twist beam. All the other things that were just waiting to go wrong will still be there, just waiting to go wrong.

This whole thread should be a warning to anyone to be wary of buying cheap stuff in poor condition, and I'd be the first person who should heed that warning - I've spent a lifetime accumulating junk that I'll get around to fixing one day (or maybe not!).
Haha - the sunk cost fallacy in full effect. It's been a learning experience, that's for sure. It's good to know what to look for in future, and also to know what I can and can't do.

Been looking around over the weekend at a new Panda or perhaps go back to the glory days when I was purely a Renault Clio man. We'll see what happens :)

All comes down to what you can do yourself when it comes to old cars,

At around 15 years, even a well maintained car, parts are starting to wear out

Garage prices generally positive pandemic have gone through the roof

It not unusual for a labour charge of £100 for a 10 minute job, plus a healthy markup on the parts on top

I kind of understand it, not every job goes according to plan, rent, rates and so on, but I preferred the old days of lots of local mechanics those that were honest did well

Garage prices generally positive pandemic have gone through the roof

It not unusual for a labour charge of £100 for a 10 minute job, plus a healthy markup on the parts on top

I kind of understand it, not every job goes according to plan, rent, rates and so on, but I preferred the old days of lots of local mechanics those that were honest did well

Yes, there are a lot more garages over charging, deliberately breaking things or otherwise being incompetent.

The economy is quite bad and its effected lots of industries, not just car repair.

This is hitting the nail on the head.

The reason I came to this forum is because a previous car kept accumulating repairs and I was forever telling myself "this time the car will be fine". But it wasn't and I'm glad I got off that dreadmill :)
Haha - we all do it for something. Thankfully, this car hasn't cost all that much in the long run to drive a helluva lot of miles over the year, so the hole isn't too deep...yet.

Haha - we all do it for something. Thankfully, this car hasn't cost all that much in the long run to drive a helluva lot of miles over the year, so the hole isn't too deep...yet.
That fallacy works in lots of different ways, I like the one where people think that if they've owned something then its worth more than anybody elses :)

Its great in the computer world to see someone who thinks their 15 year old PC is worth the same as when they bought it!!!

I like the one where people think that if they've owned something then its worth more than anybody elses
Actually there's some truth in this, at least as far as cars are concerned.

A 5yr old car which you've owned from new, driven carefully, serviced well and which has no damage history is worth quite a bit more to you than a typical 5yr old used car on a forecourt.

If you keep it another 5 years, it will likely cost you a lot less than if you'd just bought some random 5yr old car.

A 5yr old car which you've owned from new, driven carefully, serviced well and which has no damage history is worth quite a bit more to you than a typical 5yr old used car on a forecourt.

If you keep it another 5 years, it will likely cost you a lot less than if you'd just bought some random 5yr old car.
That's a good point.

I did a car boot over the bank holiday to sell off some attic junk and buy someone elses attic junk. I just wanted rid of my junk, but a lot of people were wanting exorbitant prices for theirs!

Don't. You'll convince me to get my Panda repaired ;) Haha!

I don't why, but my brains seems to be wired for small cars with a bit of character. Most recently I was checking out a Renault Clio estate. Not cool in the slightest, but I love the fact Renault decided to make a little estate.

Newer Panda would be nice, especially a Lounge.

I don't why, but my brains seems to be wired for small cars with a bit of character. Most recently I was checking out a Renault Clio estate. Not cool in the slightest, but I love the fact Renault decided to make a little estate.

On the motorway earlier today I saw a 2004 Renault Clio with double separated exhausts, I thought why? :)

Newer Panda would be nice, especially a Lounge.

I also saw a Panda and thought maybe I could buy one, there aren't many on the roads in comparison to 500s. I think there might even be more Grande Puntos on the roads than Pandas, although I'm not sure about that.

On the motorway earlier today I saw a 2004 Renault Clio with double separated exhausts, I thought why? :)

I also saw a Panda and thought maybe I could buy one, there aren't many on the roads in comparison to 500s. I think there might even be more Grande Puntos on the roads than Pandas, although I'm not sure about that.
Yes, I've noticed that you seem to see almost more 169's than you do any of the newer models.

Back