Will my car pass it's MOT?

Currently reading:
Will my car pass it's MOT?

I have a mk1 Punto, everything seems pretty decent and the MOT isnt up until JAN I'm just wondering if it will pass as the bonnet doesn't open the way its supposed to :slayer:. Someone (or something in my case) has to keep the bonnet release handle pulled, whilst the second person (or me in this case) has to yank the bonnet open via an L shaped bolt tightener. I took it to a garage before i got it open myself and they couldnt open it. So i move on to another garage who also failed then finally another who crowbarred it open, greased the mechanism and (luckily) didnt charge me. I drove it home and it then didnt open again. So the next day (after losing my temper) I had a go at yanking it with this L shaped tightener. But, if 2 out of 3 garages couldnt open the bonnet how can the check my engine bay? (sorry for my ignorance, this is assuming they check under the bonnet!)

Anyway sorry for the length :worship: just would like some advice from those who know more...

It's posible that the only problem is the plunger has been wound up too tight. The plunger inside a spring which comes out of the bonnet is basically a bolt with a locknut holding it firm.
With the bonnet open, firmly connect a piece of wire/strong string (?) to the bonnet catch, this will enable you to open the bonnet without climbing in/out of the car.
Undo the locknut and turn the plunger a couple of full turns (try to be accurate, maybe put a small scoreline on the plunger), lower the bonnet. It should click shut with a slight firm push.
See if it opens from inside the car.
Adjust further if needed. The bonnet should be firmly closed but not so firm as to be impossible to open! And not so loose as it rattles.

The other possibility is that the cable from the handle inside the car to the catch under the bonnet has somehow stretched.
OR
The catch mechanism has been moved at some point - maybe had a slight knock?

TBF as long as it passes the requirements, I.e. all passenger doors open ok, lights work, the suspension is safe, the brakes are fine, wheel bearings aren't f**ked, seatbelts aren't dangerous, the shell isn't rotten and it passes emissions tests, it has an M.o.t. It's perfectly possible to perform an mot without popping the bonnet and unless the car has an issue that needs fixed it's unnescessary to do so.

This is one of the reasons you will always be reminded that while an M.O.T. is a certificate of the vehicles roadworthyness it is not an indication of mechanical fitness, the engine could be on it's last legs hanging on for grim death but all the M.O.T. tests is the emissions which if it passes its got the cert.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the help!! I'll try adjusting this plunger, it's not the cable cos i've been under and pushed the mech. as far as it will go and thats no use.
And yeah I've known of a few "mechanically unsound" cars passing MOT's but was unsure if they check battery brackets etc. mih, thankyou all!

It's perfectly possible to perform an mot without popping the bonnet and unless the car has an issue that needs fixed it's unnescessary to do so.

Errr.....I am no MOT tester and my question based on the above would be how would a tester be expected to check for corrosion around the front strut/engine/column mounts and the condition of the brake pipes/servo/linkages etc in the engine bay if the bonnet wont open??

Personaly I would be very surprised if any MOT tester would entertain a vehicle with a faulty catch/stuck bonnet

Errr.....I am no MOT tester and my question based on the above would be how would a tester be expected to check for corrosion around the front strut/engine/column mounts and the condition of the brake pipes/servo/linkages etc in the engine bay if the bonnet wont open??

Personaly I would be very surprised if any MOT tester would entertain a vehicle with a faulty catch/stuck bonnet

MoT testers are only able to test what they can see. If there is no mention of the bonnet needing to open in the guidelines then you don't have to have an opening bonnet. though a car with an non-opening bonnet might not last long due to not being able to check/top up fluids, especially a punto with a fire engine.....

Hi there. I can give you a categoric answer to the MOT question as it arose on one of my 127's this year. The bonnet sometimes sticks closed and has to be unbolted to open again :bang:

The MOT tester was quite happy having the car in with the bonnet ajar, so that he could do the necessary checks under the bonnet - various corrosion checks & fuel lines, but most importantly VIN plates etc, so yes it is necessary.

The MOT test requires the bonnet to firmly latch though, so he had to shut it back down to pass it. This obviously wasn't a problem, much the same as yours. Just tell the tester and he'll be able to do the underbonnet stuff before he closes it down.

Hope this helps.

Gavin (y)

I can get the bonnet up for maintenance, thats not a problem. Its just whether a mechanic is happy risking the bodywork of the car to do it himself unbeknown that the only way to open is to force it!

Thanks all for help, I might take it to a place where they don't charge if it fails, then its win win! (y)

Back