Technical Water pump replacement 3 litre Ducato

Currently reading:
Technical Water pump replacement 3 litre Ducato

I received the new tensioner and bolted it onto the block. Here's my way of fitting it. While I was waiting for the tensioner, I fitted the new water pump which made the job a lot harder as the tensioner had to come up from underneath. Anyway, by tying a bit of string to it, I got it up to the right height and by taping the fixing bolt to the pulley it wasn't too hard to get it attached.
I bought a nice long serpentine belt tensioner spanner with a 15mm socket. There's very little clearance so I doubt you can use a standard ratchet socket wrench. My new tool worked a treat and with the tensioner fully loaded as if tightening the idler bolt, it was a simple task to slip the belt over the alternator pulley and release the tensioner. One trick is to use a sleeve over the belt tool handle that extends the handle to lock it down on a frame member while crawling underneath to slip on the belt.A tie down strap would do the same job.

I still have to do the A/C belt and that is looking like another mission. I have ordered one of those fancy pulley clips that feeds the belt on by turning the crankshaft. Will keep you posted.....

Back