Technical Trouble engaging 3rd and 4th.

Currently reading:
Technical Trouble engaging 3rd and 4th.

pantdino

When I got my Fiat Abarth 850TC replica in 2007 I had trouble engaging 3rd and 4th gear, with it engaging reverse unless you were very careful to keep the lever just to the left of the "full left" position in the gate as you moved from 3rd to 4th. I loosened the shift rod to trans connector and retightened it and it seemed to solve the problem until now.

Then the last time I drove the car partway thru the drive it started doing the same thing again. I had noted that the trans was sitting very low in the cradle, almost touching the metal, so I replaced the trans mounts. It sits higher now but the problem persists. I get the impression the shift lever shaft and trans shaft have flats on them, so it is not possible to adjust the relationship between them. I note that 1st is easier to engage now but 4th is very difficult.

The workshop manual I have discusses adjusting the base of the shift lever forward or backward if you are having trouble engaging the front or back gears, but that's not the problem.

Anyone have this problem? What was the cure?

I posted some pics in the Newbie section.

I also have some uploads on youtube of visits to Abarth collections in Europe under the user name pantdino, if you are interested.

Thank you,

Jim

I found the problem- the hex bolt securing the short rod at the base of the gear lever to the long rod that runs back to the gearbox had come loose. I snugged it up and now the car shifts perfectly- better than ever, in fact. I suspect it's been loose for a long time but it has been that way since I got the car so I didn't know.

Back