Technical Stalling

Currently reading:
Technical Stalling

matt1267

Hi there.

I'm looking for some advice please. I have a 1971 500 which in a previous life had its original engine bored out to 650. Iv had about 3 years. Been brilliant til now. Regular starts over winter no problems. But came to take it on first run out the other week and had it idling on drive for 10 mins and its spluttered and stalled. Wouldn't start again till cooled down. Same thing 10 mins stalled!

I checked forums for advice. Some said fuel pump so got a new pump. Same problem. While changing pump I moved filter to the front of car. Iv checked valve clearance which was another suggestion. Just done that today. But same thing 10 mins. Spluttered and stalled.
There is fuel getting to carb as I have clear pipes and can see it.. plugs are fairly new (within last 150 miles) new condenser changed at same time.

Points look ok and gap correct.

What else should I be looking at?

Be greatful for any advice.

Regards

Long shot but did you change the fuel pipes to clear and did the problem start after that? Could it be high temp in the engine bay and after 10 minutes you’re getting vapour lock as the pipes aren’t insulated like the old thick rubber ones?

Long shot but did you change the fuel pipes to clear and did the problem start after that? Could it be high temp in the engine bay and after 10 minutes you’re getting vapour lock as the pipes aren’t insulated like the old thick rubber ones?
The problem arose before I changed the pump and pipes. I had clear pipes on before just older ones. Changed to newer clear. Can't be getting too hot as iv taken the boot lid off to work easier. Ta

It’s a tricky one because you’ve checked everything. As the fuel system is fully overhauled attention kind of goes back to the ignition. What about the coil, could that be faulty?

It’s a tricky one because you’ve checked everything. As the fuel system is fully overhauled attention kind of goes back to the ignition. What about the coil, could that be faulty?
It's a fairly new coil. Its Probably done less than 100 miles or so. Would that just die after 10 mins every time. I'm not really up on electrics

It's a fairly new coil. Its Probably done less than 100 miles or so. Would that just die after 10 mins every time. I'm not really up on electrics
Coils are a bit funny, they can go completely or intermittently. It would be good if you could borrow one for a quick swap. Failing that if you have access to a multimeter measure the resistance of the primary and secondary coils before you start then run the engine until it stops and re-measure the readings.

Back