345884264_1724100544686172_4671623679724577340_n.jpg

Punto (Mk1) Project R the Mk1 Cabrio Restoration project

1998 Rosso Red Mk1 Punto ELX Cabrio, that has been very neglected.

Introduction

Project page for my 1998 Punto Cabrio Restoration project. This car was aquired in October 2023, with no service history and in a pretty poor state, however they are becoming extremely rare now in the UK, just a dozen or so of the 1.2 16v models left on the road and about 30 or so cabrios in total.

Pictures are from the forsale add and ones the previous owner sent me before I got it.
looking at the sump it has a nice coat of black paint on top of a surface that is best described as a bit lumpy.

If I had to guess id say someone has painted over some rust. But it seems to be holding the oil in. They are pretty cheap to replace and could do so easily right now. they usually are pressed from a sheet of steel so are usually a lot more "smooth"

Honesty I think at some point someone has loved this car, but for the last few years it's been a bit neglected.

I couldn't decide if it had been under sealed or was rust painted over but it looks happy enough...mine had teabag perforations in it a very long time ago.

Although replacing it was cheap...not sure the parts are as cheap and freely available now though haven't looked to be fair.

Is because its a convertible it can only go out on sunny days, if that were the case why have a roof at all?
Not always sunny on the same day, it keeps your hair and makeup good for when it starts raining :D

Anyone I've known with a convertible has/had it as a second or third car, just assumed most were like that.

I always think it odd that UK buys the highest amount of convertible cars, given our climate. Maybe we are just very optimistic that weather will improve or the aircon in our cars never keeps working long enough.:ROFLMAO:

Back