Technical Black smoke and lack of power

Currently reading:
Technical Black smoke and lack of power

greenshedguy

03 Scudo 2.0 JTD. Vehicle has just started suffering with the dreaded heavy black smoke and lack of power/revs especially noticeable with a heavier throttle and load on the engine. No warning light on dash and seems to rev ok in neutral.
This morning I decided to replace the NS engine mount as there has been a “donk” noise from the NSF for quite a while and slowly working through potential sources and this was next on the list of culprits.
Battery removed, air box removed and battery tray removed to give easier access to the offending engine mount. Mount swapped surprisingly easily without having to fight seized nuts and bolts. Reassembled the previously removed bits and took it for a shake down run. Had been fine prior but now feels very sluggish and lots of black smoke. Guessing I’ve upset some sort of electrical connection rather than a simultaneous and unlucky coincidental component or sensor failure. I’ve checked and cleaned the 2 connectors that were unplugged to do the job and checked a few others and visually all appears fine and they are seating well. Any suggestions as to where I should be looking next? Anyway to check the connections? If it was a poor connection that has now been fixed would that be a fault that would clear itself or need to be done manually? Any help, pointers or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Disturbed air inlet piping resulting in loss of boost?
If inlet air escapes before inlet manifold the ecu will "see" massive increase in air flow and inject more fuel but the air is escaping so result is black smoke.

Stuck open egr valve causes similar effect.

Back