Technical Air filter and spark plugs

Currently reading:
Technical Air filter and spark plugs

d4zzl3r

Hi - just for interest really....

We have had the car from new (2014 TA105 Lounge 48,000-ish miles) and in that time i haven't changed the air filter and spark plugs. It was serviced by Fiat at 18,326 (to keep the warranty alive) which was the 1st service interval (18,000). I think 18,000 is too long an interval for the oil and filter so i do that at 9000 or yearly. It being a TA too the oil is crucial.

Anyway i thought 18,000 (2017) - 48,000-ish (2024) is 30,000 miles and 7 years so they might be due a change.
I am assuming here that Fiat actually did change the air filter and plugs at 18,326 but me being a cynic thinks that maybe they just took the money and stamped the book.
So these pictures could be after 30,000 miles (7 years) or 48,000-ish miles (10 years).

1.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

So these pictures could be after 30,000 miles (7 years) or 48,000-ish miles (10 years)
I'd say there's nothing in those photos that's inconsistent with them having been in the car since it was new.

But whatever, it'd be a good idea to change them now.

The plug electrodes look to be in good condition (and this shows the benefit of using precious metal plugs), but the ceramic looks to be past its best. The rust staining suggests there's some internal corrosion in the ferrous part of the body of the plug.

I read a comment somewhere (maybe on here or FaceBook) that said, 'if it starts ok and it ain't mis-firing than don't change the plugs'. I guess sometimes we can 'over service' cars and throw away good parts.
What prompted me to change them was that i thought that if i don't change them soon will they become seized in the head. They were a bit tight but nothing excessive.

I guess sometimes we can 'over service' cars and throw away good parts.
I'd agree. Service intervals are designed around garage visits, so everything gets done at the same time whether it needs it or not. If something has worn to the point where its still serviceable, but won't likely last until the next scheduled service, it has to be changed.

If you're servicing it yourself, there's no need to do everything at the same time, so you can just do what actually needs doing at the time, and leave the rest for another day.

Sometimes folks make the mistake of changing what's cheap and easy, but leave what's expensive and difficult. I once knew someone with the old style of Fiat air filter which could be separated in situ by a simple latch. You could buy the element in Halfords for about £3, and change it in the car park in about 30 seconds, so as Halfords was next to their usual filling station, they replaced it just about every time they refuelled the car. Pointless and unnecessary.
What prompted me to change them was that i thought that if i don't change them soon will they become seized in the head
That's a good point. In this case, I'd worry about internal corrosion inside the metal body of the plug. You can see the telltale rust stains on the ceramic.

This weakens the metal body of the plug from the inside out, which can then shear at its narrowest point when you try to remove it, leaving the hexagonal part in the socket and the rest of the plug still in the head.

I've actually had this happen to me, once.

Last edited:
The brown marks on the plugs are corona discharge..... it's only a problem when it reaches the higher part of the porcelain & can cause misfires.
But yes, it can weaken the plug if left too long

Nice to have another cynic 👍.
Every vehicle I've had ... change the fluids and check the rest.
My 2008 500 came with fully stamped service and a heap of invoices. Air filter bolts rusted solid and filter date 2017 .. black as, but not allowed to say. Oil filter rusted. Pollen filter changed .. don't have one.
Your using the car, so do what you can do and afford. New plugs? Go for it.
My 1.4 was as if a 1.2 and oil over the top.
Enjoy the 🚗.

I changes the air filter on our Panda 169 just before it went in PX that has done 18000 miles. It was dusty but would probably have been fine for the same again. I had a company Astra 1.8 that has no serviceing in 75000 miles. It was running like a well oiled clock. Me being me, I sent it in immediately for service. It was never quite the same again!

"Service intervals are designed around garage visits, so everything gets done at the same time whether it needs it or not."

Service intervals are designed around keeping the costs down while a car is under manufacturers warranty so an 18000 mile or 2 year service interval may mean servicing looks cheap to private, but much more importantly fleet buyers. After its out of warranty they don't care that the extra long intervals aren't good for longevity.

Back